PDA

View Full Version : Trying to convert 6.30 to X

jmowat72
08-02-2004, 11:02 AM
I'm currently putting our current 6.3 into X, have decided to start from scratch as the 6.3 is pretty poor.

However I'm trying to understand how our file structure fits with the new structure in X.

X is:

Product - Feature - Component
or
Product - Feature - Sub Feature - Component

Our is:

Components - client files - component - which you can then link to a single or multiple File Groups.

I can't figure out where the file groups now sit. I'm not a developer so please be gentle!
;)

Thanks
Jo

CharlesW
08-02-2004, 11:49 AM
In ISX, I think component is analagous to a file group in pro. For instance, if you wanted a set of files to go to windows XP, a second set to go to Windows 98, and a third set a files to go to Linux, you would create three different components, and place a separate platform condition on each component. Individual components are not selectable by the end user.

In ISX, Features represent the smallest pieces of an installation from the end user's perspective. A good example of this would be Microsoft Offfice. Each application in Office would be a separate "feature". For instance, Word, Excel, power point, etc.

I Hope I did not confuse you more!

jmowat72
08-02-2004, 11:58 AM
No thats really helped

Thank you :D