PDA

View Full Version : MFC7.1 Merge Modules

GHarpin
08-02-2004, 06:21 AM
I am aware that the MFC7.1 merge modules (VC_User_MFC71_RTL_X86_---.msm et al) are from Microsoft and that Microsoft say that the .dll files should be installed in the same directory as the app but…

When I include the merge modules in a basic installation project all the .dll files get dumped in the root directory. :mad:

It there an easy work around for this/new merge modules available? I am by no means an expert with developer, so details would be good.

Thank you for your help.

luke_s
08-02-2004, 11:01 PM
I think that there is a bug with theses merge modules. try searching google, or the microsoft site.

GHarpin
08-03-2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by luke_s
I think that there is a bug with theses merge modules. try searching google, or the microsoft site.

I have been looking around, I've come to the same conclution about it being a bug from Microsoft. :rolleyes:

I think that I will just add the required .DLLs to the project for now and worry about the merge module later as I have to get this done and dusted by Friday.

GHarpin
08-03-2004, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by GHarpin
I think that I will just add the required .DLLs to the project for now and worry about the merge module later as I have to get this done and dusted by Friday.

InstallShield adds the merge module when I try to add just the .DLLs. :(

All the 'fixes' I have found seem to require a higher version of Developer to fix or maybe a more indepth knowledge of the program. :(

FrankM
08-03-2004, 06:48 AM
You just have to enter the destination path for the MergeModule.

This can be done by right-clicking on the MergeModule in the MergeModule view. Select Properties aund enter the target directory, e.g. [SystemFolder].

That should work.

Frank

GHarpin
08-03-2004, 07:15 AM
You can indeed right-clicking on the Merge Module and enter the target directory in its. But when you build the installer the directory is ignored.

The Merge Modules that I have are:
VC_User_CRT71_RTL_X86_---.msm version 1.0
VC_User_MFC71_RTL_X86_---.msm version 1.0

Are there any other/newer versions of the MFC/C++ run time merge modules available?

FrankM
08-03-2004, 07:38 AM
Another workaround is to set the TARGETDIR in a CustomAction. This CA should be sequenced right after FileCost in the Installation Execute sequence.

luke_s
08-03-2004, 05:55 PM
You can change the TARGETDIR, but be careful though because this could affect other parts of your installation.

GHarpin
08-04-2004, 02:27 AM
As I am short of time and only realy comfertable using the wizards I am going to use MS Visual Studio to make the installer.

Thanks for your help, I think a work around has been added to a later version of InstallSheild (from looking around the other forums), so I'll try to gett an upgrade out of the powers that be.:rolleyes:

Once again thanks for the help.

Ron Schaeffer
08-04-2004, 09:31 AM
Microsoft has updated versions of these merge modules.

I went through the same issue recently, opened a support case with Microsoft and received a zip file containing 5 revised MSM files. The date of these revised files is 6/25/2003 (time 6:5x pm, from a PST time zone perspective).

In my case I delivered these files to the Windows System folder, but they could be redirected anywhere.

For your reference, my case was "SRZ040618000980".