PDA

View Full Version : Patch on a previous patch!!! Problem!!

neverbefore
08-01-2004, 03:43 PM
I am using InstallShield Developer 7.04. My project is a Standard project and it contains some merge modules(that use dynamic file linking) as well.

I have created a patch on the first major version of my product (5.0). This works fine. But when i try to create the second patch and run it, it fails saying "Error 1334 : Cannot find file .....in the cabinet PCW_CAB_FAMILY00".

Something interesting NOW!!!! This is the behaviour when i have the "List of patch GUIDS to replace" populated with the GUID of the first patch (in the patch wizard for the second patch.)

But when i clear this box i.e i do not enter anything in the "List of patch GUIDs to replace" entry, the second patch seems to work fine. Though during the installation i can easily figure that the first patch is getting revoked again. But the final state of my target machine is exactly what i want.

But definitely,,,,though the final state is the same i am not too sure if this is a safe thing to do (keeping the "List of Patch GUIDS to replace" as empty).

Hope someone can help me out in this.

Thanks
ganiga.

neverbefore
08-04-2004, 07:21 AM
Doesn't anyone have a clue on this? Its surprising that only i am facing this problem.

Flowers
08-11-2004, 08:52 AM
Your problem may be that you need to indicate all previous MSIs not just your original install... I think this is on the second panel of the patch utility.

neverbefore
08-13-2004, 04:04 PM
Firstly, Thanks very much for replying. I have been waiting for someone to speak out.

I dont quite understand what you say. Let me briefly explain to see if i have understood your answer correctly.

I created version 1.0 of my product. Release it.
Then i created a patch, say "patch 1", for 1.0 using the patch wizard. Released the patch.
Then i am trying to create another patch, say patch 2, that would work for both "1.0" and 1.0 with patch 1 already applied.

So, now according to what you say, while creating patch 2, using the patch wizard of course, i have to list the msi's of both "1.0" and "1.0 with patch 1 applied" in the previous packages panel.

If so, i thought in this panel we should only list previous major and minor releases and not really patches. Though, further down the wizard, there is a "List of patch GUIDs to be replaced" where i am mentioning the GUID of the patch 1.

Please advise me if i am missing something here or if my understanding is wrong.

Thanks again in advance.

Flowers
08-17-2004, 10:06 AM
Hi

On the "Previous Packages" panel in the Patch Utility, try adding the package that was used for your first patch in addition to the original package.