PDA

View Full Version : Error 1706.No valid source could be found for product <x>. The Windows Installer...

djvdjv
07-30-2004, 09:47 AM
Full message : Error 1706.No valid source could be found for product <product>. The Windows Installer cannot continue.

I've read the FAQs, I've searched all the forums. I'm still striking out. I've set the merge module to cache locally. I've changed the cache location. But it still wants to run the .msi package from the original install location.

Project: InstallShield X [InstallScript Project]
MergeModule: .NET assemblies

It's the merge module that fails. I "seemed" to have fixed it once. But after running the ISX hotfix2, I had to uninstall / reinstall InstallShield X Premier. Now I can't find the setting that I "think" fixed it.

I had read somewhere about an "update" setting for your project if you did not want to mess with Major/Minor update scenarios. It does not appear to be the one set in the Media Wizard Update panel (i.e. Full - include all.... / Non-version specific...).

Does this ring a bell to anyone? Do you know the "update" setting I'm talking about?

Or is this related to the REINSTALLMODE parameters. The MSIxxx.log shows parms omus. I was thinking that the afore mentioned "update" setting changed the parms to vomus when in MAINTENANCE mode.

Or am I supposed to... Or can you set the MSI command line parameters in the InstallScript project code to REINSTALLMODE=voums before setting FeatureReinstall??????

Or what?

djvdjv
08-03-2004, 08:38 AM
Used a variation on the "How To" posted 1/10/03 for IS Dev7. How To - Minor Upgrade in Standard Project. The following steps were done to the merge module in Direct Edit mode:

1) Set command line to REINSTALLMODE=voums REINSTALL=ALL
....This is done in the table "InstallShield".
2) Create two custom actions.
....a) Set property "REINSTALL" to a value {}
....b) Set property "REINSTALLMODE" to a value {}
3) Add the two custom actions in the table ModuleInstallUISequence.
....a) Base Action for both is "CostInitialize"
....b) Condition for both is "Not Installed"

This merge module installs shared assemblies. I don't get the error any more when running the same install initially or in maintenance mode. But when I run another install that has the same merge module, I get the error.

Error 1706.No valid source could be found for product <product>. The Windows Installer cannot continue.

Any body out there with any clue as to what to do?