PDA

View Full Version : install only setup

gemini_neo
07-29-2004, 08:42 AM
I want to create install only setup. which will not appare in add/remove programs and if user start setup next time it overwrite all file.
thanks

RobertDickau
07-29-2004, 08:48 AM
You can use the setting General Information > Project Properties > Maintenance Experience > No Uninstall or Maintenance.

gemini_neo
07-30-2004, 09:19 AM
Thanks for your reply. but I did not found option General Information > Project Properties > Maintenance Experience .
I create install script msi project. There is one option to enable maintenance and i set it to "no". but still when i start setup next time it ask to remove components. I want to run it for installation only.
I have one more problem. I include one entry in mobile device view also. but when during the uninstallation its shortcut remains at startmenu and when I re-install the software It create one more shortcut with (2).(3)....(n) post fix where n is number of installation.
Thanks in advance

RobertDickau
07-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Oh, right, that option is just for pure InstallScript projects. For InstallScript MSI, perhaps look at www.installsite.org > Windows Installer > InstallShield Samples > InstallShield Developer Utility Collection...

Tony Dixon
08-03-2004, 08:26 AM
why not in you install script create a reg value call SystemComponent and set it to 1.

this value is a dword and is localted in you uninstall registory entry for you product.

ie HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\<Your Product Code>

this removed the entry in Add/Remove dialog with out upsetting the system.

it also make it easy to remove the setup if you need to by setting the value to 0. this will show the Install program again in the Add/remove dialog.