PDA

View Full Version : setup.exe

FritzDR
11-16-2001, 03:12 PM
The setup.exe that is created in when I run the Build Your Release function is put in my destination folder as expected. This sets up InstallShield but doesn't install our product.

Chandima
11-19-2001, 02:52 PM
So when you run this Setup.exe on a machine that does not have your product, it is not installed? Do you get any error messages during the install? Are you sure you added all the files (and file dependencies) that your application needs?

FritzDR
11-19-2001, 06:46 PM
Setup.exe and my .msi file end up in the folder I have specified as the destination folder in Distribute Your Release. This location is not accesible in the Program File Properties screen of Dialogs/Setup Complete Success. I am new at this and am not certain that I have included all the necessary files. (the .exe file for our product has been included in my setup; it is accessible to both machines; I have to use a test machine because InstallShield will adversely impact AVR (ASNA Visual RPG).

FritzDR
11-20-2001, 11:28 AM
Let me back up. I migrated an install package that we set up using InstallShield Express 2.02. (This package installed our product successfully). I updated the setup with the new versions of the product exe and the database that I wanted to install, ran the Build, Test, and Distribute.

My .msi and setup.exe files are now in the destination folder, the (product).exe file is in the Program Files\(company name)\(product name) folder. Under Dialogs, Setup Complete Success, Program File Property, the migration put (product name).exe. It seems to me that the .msi file should be specified here to install the product. But, it is not accessible, as the destination folder is not accessible from the browse function.

When this didn't work, I started trying variations. So far, I have gotten the necessary files to install but not the software.

Chandima
11-20-2001, 05:28 PM
All the "Distribute your release" does is copy all the files you need to install to a location of your choice. It does not install you product. To actually install the product all you have to do is run the Setup.exe file. This will then launch the dialogs and ask you where you want your program installed.

FritzDR
11-20-2001, 05:45 PM
Yes. This is what I initially thought, but couldn't get to work. I have since done a clean migration of a previous version of our product that installed successfully under 2.02. We then ran this, and after acknowledging 2 unexpected messages, the product installed. What confuses me at this point is that the product .exe was named in the Program File Properties in the Setup Complete Success dialog, not setup.exe. Is setup.exe run somewhere else to do the install? (getting closer)

Chandima
11-21-2001, 08:47 AM
That is the expected behavior. As mentioned the product won't install untill you run Setup.exe. Once you do a build, browse to the release location and the Disk1 folder. You would copy the contents of this folder to a CD. So when you distribute your CD, your user is going to put it in the CD-ROM, explore, and then run the Setup.exe file. This will install your application on the machine. IF the install was successfull then the "Setup Complete Success" dialog will show up. If you enabled the option of launching your program, it will then do so once the "Finish" button is clicked. That is why the "Setup Complete Dialog" has the path you program exe and NOT setup.exe.

FritzDR
11-27-2001, 11:36 AM
I still had some problem getting my Launch to work when setup from the migration. What I tried that worked was to remove the product .exe from INSTALLDIR and put it in Program Files folder\company name\product name. Product seemed to install and launch ok with this setup. Any comment as to why this worked when the migration setup didn't so I might better fine tune my setups in the future?

Chandima
11-27-2001, 12:01 PM
Interesting. By default INSTALLDIR should point to "Program Files folder\company name\product name". Once you migrate your project, go to Files View, right click, and look at the "Predefined Folders". Is INSTALLDIR grayed out or disabled? This could be a bug in the migration (from 2.x) more than with Express 3.5 itself.

FritzDR
11-27-2001, 02:54 PM
(Currently using InstallShield Express Version 3.03)

FritzDR
11-28-2001, 07:25 PM
Current problem concerning Launch is with the kit that contains various files and the program to load these files to the database. The migration of a kit setup under InstallShield 2.02 creates INSTALLDIR under the Application Files feature with the Install folder under this. The .exe that needs to run is located in INSTALLDIR under the Application Files feature. When this kit is installed on a test machine, this .exe is in c:\Program Files\company name\product name. Launch apparently cannot find it, because at this point nothing happens. Manually running the .exe from its location in c:\Program Files\company name\product name produces the desired results.

My current setup specifies [INSTALLDIR]\program name.exe in Dialogs/Setup Complete Success/Program File.

In General Information, INSTALLDIR is defined as [ProgramFilesFolder]\company name\product name.

Suggested solutions?
Thanks.

Chandima
11-29-2001, 01:50 PM
I see now...

I am suprised it doesn't launch the file from the Setup Complete dialog. The best way to launch this exe file as an Exe Custom Action after "Setup Complete" dialog. It does pretty much the same thing.

FritzDR
12-05-2001, 02:47 PM
When trying to do a reinstall, I no longer get the Add/Modify/Remove screen. So, I can't test another installation as it tells me the files already exist. In this particular case, we tried removing the product manually, but, same thing.

Chandima
12-05-2001, 05:08 PM
When you uninstall the Express Project, the setup that was installed through the Custom Action will NOT be removed. If you want this removed, you will have to do so through ANOTHER Custom Action that is launched during the uninstall of the product.

FritzDR
12-06-2001, 06:18 PM
I got the trading partner kit to launch in a way similar to the way I got our customer cd to launch. That is, by putting the .exe into the Program Files\[company name]\[product name] folder rather than having it in INSTALLDIR (which is defined as Program Files\[company name]\[product name]. In the case of the trading partner kit where this path didn't exist before the Build, I added them. By doing it this way instead of setting it up as a Custom Action, the InstallShield Wizard/Program Maintenance screen should display with Remove being an option. My questions are these: Am I not defining something correctly so that having the .exe in INSTALLDIR does not work? Also, how does the InstallShield Remove (Uninstall) work? Will uninstalling an old version of the product affect shared files? Will this cause a problem for other software that uses those shared files?

One additional question on a different subject: Do you have, or can you point me to information on Windows Scripting and how it can be used with InstallShield?

Many Thanks
Dave

Chandima
12-07-2001, 01:46 PM
I must admit that I really don't know why INSTALLDIR is not resolving correctly for you. The uninstall will pretty much remove all the files that were added. If you used the scanners and merge modules you won;t have to worry about shared files because

1. The scanners do not add certain OS specific files
2. The system files in the merge modules have the "permanent" property set - so they won't get removed during the uninstall.

If you have files you KNOW should be left behind after an uninstall, se them as Permanent (from the File properties).

To access Windows Script (I am assuming you mean Windows Scripting Host), you can make direct calls from VBScript after initializing a Shell Object. See the docs at the link below for more details. There is a link to the Windows Script 5.6 docs as well as some other related stuff.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/Default.asp?contentid=28001169