PDA

View Full Version : Dummy folder

veej77
07-26-2004, 04:55 PM
I am using Developer 7.0 with service pack 4. I had done a previous build called XYZ1234 v0.1 and all was well. I decided to change the name to XYZ1234 v1.2.2. Hence I went into Property Manager and changed the name. After the build I noticed that Installshield installs a folder called XYZ1234 v0.1 on the target machine alongwith the new folder XYZ1234 v1.2.2. All documents and software are located at the correct places for XYZ1234 v1.2.2. Folder XYZ1234 v0.1 is empty. I have tried everything that I could think of for getting rid of this folder but have been unsucessful. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Veej:confused:

TsungH
07-26-2004, 05:09 PM
You will need to remove the extraneous entry in CreateFolder table.

veej77
07-26-2004, 05:49 PM
Hello TSungH,
Thank you for the quick reply. Unfortunately the create folder section located in Direct Editor does not conatin the dummy file. It is blank at this point. I hope I am looking at the right place, if not please correct me since I am a very new user.
Thanks,
Veej

TsungH
07-26-2004, 06:12 PM
If CreateFolder table does not contain any entry, MSI will not create an empty folder. Can you confirm you are testing on a clean machine which wasn't tainted by the previous setup before the changes?

To make sure we are on the same page, can you post a screeshot of CreateFolder table?

veej77
07-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Hello,
You are right. I was using a machine that I had used as a target machine for the build that had the name XYZ1234 v0.1. When I ran the build on a new machine, the dummy folder was not to be seen. Does this mean that when Installshield removes old files, it does not do so completely? Even if it does not why should I see the dummy folder pop up after installation.
Thanks for your help.
Veej77

TsungH
07-27-2004, 12:49 PM
Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI) service handles files and folders per information in MSI file. You will want to look into your installation project for clues. It is also possible that the folder is locked by whatever process at the time of uninstallation, hence not removed. I can't say either way for sure.

veej77
07-27-2004, 01:15 PM
Hello,
Thank you very much for all the help. I am hoping that you can help me with the .html file too, but I will take that up after two weeks since I will be on vacation.
Thank you once again.
Veej

TsungH
07-27-2004, 01:56 PM
Like I mentioned in the HTML issue (http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136788), it could be a problem with the content of your HTML file. I am sorry, but I don't want to dive into that.

veej77
07-27-2004, 06:47 PM
I am sorry that I gave you the impression that I needed help with the html file. That is not what I meant. I was only looking for help with Installashield since I am quite new.
But anyways the good news is that I was able to fix the html file and now all works well.
Once again, thank you very much for all the help.
Veej

TsungH
07-28-2004, 09:50 AM
Don't mention it. I will offer recommendations/pointers/assistance as much as I can. As an aside, mySupport (http://mysupport.installshield.com/) provides official support on InstallShield products.