PDA

View Full Version : Dialog text different invoking .exe vs .jar

thorne
07-26-2004, 01:46 PM
I've created a new Begin dialog which contains a text box whose value is extracted from a file (a Word Pro file which contains HTML code).

If I invoke the installer using setup.jar, I see all the text in the dialog (which requires scrolling). But if I invoke the installer using setup.exe, not all the text is displayed.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Thorne

CharlesW
07-27-2004, 02:33 PM
Typically, the only difference between launching with a JAR file and with a launcher is the JVM which is being resolved.

To confirm this, add $J(java.home) to the welcome panel. This will resolve to the JVM home for the JVM currently used by the installer. I suspect that you will find that the value resolved when launching using the JAR is different that the value resolved when using the launcher.

Note: to control the JVM which is resolve by the launcher, use the switch "-is:javahome <java home dir>"

thorne
07-27-2004, 02:56 PM
Thanks, Charles. You're right.

.EXE - java.home is C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\LRE20A.tmp

.JAR - java.home is f:\Program Files\InstallShield X\Universal Installer\jdk1.4\jre

So the question now is... if my dialog is complete only when the .JAR is invoked, what do I have to do to make it work with the .EXE? My guess is that it has something to do with my bundled JVM. I'm not having IS search for a JVM on the target machine because I figured it was enough to just use the bundled JVM. Maybe I do need to search first?

But then I'm still left with the problem of not displaying the entire text if an existing JVM doesn't exist on the target machine. Your thoughts?

Thorne

CharlesW
07-27-2004, 03:21 PM
What bundled JVM are you including in the launcher? If you need to strictly control the JVM used by the installer, then using a bundle only (as you are doing) is the way to go. Be sure that you are bundling the Same JVM version as that located in "f:\Program Files\InstallShield X\Universal Installer\jdk1.4\jre".

Note: you can find quite a few JVM bundles at the following URL:

http://www.installshield.com/downloads/default.asp?pm=isx&pver=All&ped=xprew100e&gv=1&msxmlhidden=n&mt=jvm&Language=English&platform=&image.x=61&image.y=16&image=Find+It&mode=submit

thorne
07-27-2004, 03:36 PM
Thank you, thank you, Charles! The bundled JVM I was using was a Sun 1.3.1. I downloaded a Sun 1.4.2 and that fixed my problem. Thorne

Katrin
08-03-2004, 04:29 AM
Hello,

I am facing the problem described at the beginning of this thread. I cannot scroll the license text field, but it works, when I use the setup.jar.

Now, I have been trying to change the bundled jvm for a while, but that seems not to be possible. I downloaded a new jvm from the install shield website and put it in the directory "<InstallShield X Universal home>/jvms/<platform>" I can select the new jvm in the "JVM Resolution" view, but every time I build the installation, the old jvm is taken.

What could be the problem here?

CharlesW
08-03-2004, 08:24 AM
Katrin,
Be sure that you have not specifyied any search instructions for the windows JVM resolution. It is possible that the JVM search is finding a JVM and that the bundle is never used. I've not see any issues where the wrong JVM gets built into the archive. If you are not including any search instructions, then please zip your project and attach. I will look it over to see the bundled JVM which is being built into the installer.