PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall dialog skinning bug?

ChrisSee
07-23-2004, 10:13 PM
I have a custom skin that I managed to get working with some minor trouble, and it works except for this issue:

For my InstallScript-MSI project, when uninstalling, the dialogs aren't skinned.

Everything works if I try skinning in a plain InstallScript project --in this case it seems the .isn skin file is copied to DISK1TARGET with Setup.ini and other files, so they are found at maintenance time.

However, for my InstallScript-MSI project, the only files in the DISK1TARGET location are Setup.ilg and setup.inx. When running the uninstall, it insists on looking for the skin file at the location where the product was installed from! (SRCDIR). Of course, there's no guarantee the originals are still around, and if they aren't, the 518x372 standard dialogs are shown all skewed with no skinning.

Is there some place I can specify not to look in SRCDIR but DISK1TARGET, and also force the skin file to be copied over? I'm desparate, I"ve gotten attached to my skins but if I can't get this to work they'll have to go!

Anyone come across this / have a solution?

ChrisSee
07-26-2004, 02:48 PM
Still haven't been able to find a solution/workaround, but after playing it around some I find that setup.ini in SRCDIR is used if it exists. It specifies a skin file which by default is just setup.isn. If I remove setup.ini, the uninstall still looks for setup.isn in the SRCDIR directory however.

Using CopyFile I can store setup.ini and setup.isn in DISK1TARGET, but uninstall still looks at the SRCDIR location.

So if nobody can answer the thread question directly, does anybody have information about how setup.ini is created/used? Why is it copied to DISK1TARGET in InstallScript projects, but not in InstallScript-MSI projects? And how does the installer know where to look for setup.ini?

Thanks

Marwan
07-26-2004, 04:18 PM
Chris,
This is a known issue (#1-FGE0T) for InstallScript MSI as the problem is with the installer not copying the skin file to the uninstall log location, so it's not there when the uninstall is run. Also, the installer only looks in the original media location on uninstall; when skins are absent, none is displayed.

I've escalated the issue to critical and now it is scheduled to be fixed in the next major release.

ChrisSee
07-26-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the reply Marwan, that info is much appreciated :)

hlarledge
08-03-2004, 11:49 AM
This is annoying. Any news on when this will be fixed?
Is there a workaround? Can I install the skin to the media location myself?

Thanks in advance.

repins
10-19-2004, 04:30 PM
...this problem still exists in InstallShield X as well? You've got to be kidding. The problem exists in Dev 8 (http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q107802) although it was claimed to have been fixed in SP1, I'm currently using Dev 9 SP1 and have the problem (http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=131116&highlight=skins+maintenance)...fix the damn problem! For all platforms!

At the very least give us a work around IS! A hotfix would be better at this stage. While you may not think this is that big of a problem, I'd like you to think about how many people actually put the CD in the drive when uninstalling an application from the Add/Remove panel... < 0.1% I'd say

CRCInfoSys
07-13-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm having this issue and was wondering if there is a fix or workaround for it?

Thanks.

joe.major
07-14-2005, 05:13 AM
I'm also having the same issue. Using 10.5.

Any help please....

Thanks.

rodyager
08-10-2005, 10:08 AM
By accident I found that it you go into the release wizard and cache the installation on the target machine, the skins appear just fine when uninstalling. :rolleyes:

repins
08-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Really not that surprising that it works; thanks for the info, however, I'm not sure how clean a workaround that is. I've had issues with caching the installation where it interfered with applying upgrades. If I'm remembering correctly from when I stopped using the cache option a long time ago it wouldn't clean up properly and so the cache contined to affect other installations I had even though the new installs were new releases of the same product. I think there was another problem, but can't remember (it's been a few years). Probably should try using it again to see what happens.

ncalverley
10-12-2005, 11:10 AM
Did anyone find a solution to this?

It's still a problem in v11 and i've been waiting for a fix since Dev8

As previous posters have said this is a real pain and very unproffesional looking when users go into maintenance mode and find the dialogs an ugly empty grey box.

Also happens when applying a Patch :mad:

Come on IS get it sorted...

and No cacheing the install is not an option for me :(

apierini
11-21-2005, 06:00 AM
I have the same problem too. Has anyone found a temporary solution while Macrovision fix the bug?

Thanks

Andrea Pierini

deyadav
04-17-2006, 01:57 PM
I am also seeing the same problem with IS 11. Same issue when applying a patch.
Has anyone found a workaround for this issue.

thanks,
Dev

Nischal
06-16-2006, 12:44 AM
I also encountered the same problem in IS 11.5. When i tried uninstalling from the add/remove software. The ugly looking gray skin appears but surprisingly when i tried using setup.exe file that i had produced. Everything goes perfectly. Is this bug of IS or bug of my installer ;) . Can anyone help me to get rid of this. My beta release is at the doors knocking to solve this problem.

Thanx

Nischal

repins
06-16-2006, 01:53 AM
I swear they are never going to fix this ****. Yes as far as I'm aware it's a bug in IS. Really pisses me off that something this down right ugly that is displayed to our customers can't get fixed in how many releases now? I've lost count.

Just like my faith in EA/Dice actually fixing the "red name bug" (if you're played you'll what I'm talking about ;)) I have just as much faith in the InstallShield product team (can't really blame the dev teams I'm sure as they likely don't dictate product direction) making the right decisions. The dev team should know how damn annoying a bug like this is and should be telling product that this stupid, annoying, POS bug should be fixed sometime before the 2020.

CRCInfoSys
06-16-2006, 01:27 PM
For my lastest install, I've switched to a pure Installscript based install using InstallShield X Prof.

The skin appears to work correctly. I've tested many times and the skin always appears.

If you are able to get away from MSI based it could be the fix.

repins
06-16-2006, 04:36 PM
The InstallScript project I created to test this caches the installer (not sure when the ext changed, but now the skin file ext is .isn; used to be .skin) to C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\<GUID>

So it's not surprising that it works in InstallScript projects. Although this is far from practical (no one would really do this), if you went into your project's cache and renamed/removed the isn file you'd get the same result. My question is why they can't do something similiar for InstallScript MSI projects.

Although it looks terrible and I've love for them to fix it, it's only cosmetic and moving back to InstallScript projects is not in plans so I just keep ignoring it and saying, "man that's ugly" when it comes up.

Oh well...thanks for the info on it working in InstallScript projects.

MichaelU
06-16-2006, 04:50 PM
While I'm sure this isn't exactly what you want to hear, I believe we've addressed this issue in InstallShield 12. Unfortunately as it was tied with the other restructurings, backporting the changes isn't too easy or likely. If you're on a maintenance plan, or have time and budget to consider an upgrade, test out an evaluation of IS12.