PDA

View Full Version : Lost ability to Install or Uninstall

wowcow
11-14-2001, 12:59 PM
I've been using InstallShield express for a couple of months. One system I've been testing, while trying to UNinstall (after a successful install) today, I got a message "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available".

I inserted my disk and see that it is looking for an .MSI file. I pointed to the file and the CD seemed to be accessed, but the program was not UNinstalled.

I uninstalled manually (deleted files) and now I'm trying to REInstall. Same message!!? The operating system is WIN2000. I can still install on other WIN98 and WIN2000 machines. What have I done to corrupt this one particular machine?

AnneJo
12-04-2001, 11:22 AM
I have the same problem with network uninstalls. If the program is installed solely to the c:\ drive the windows uninstall utility will remove the program from the control panel/add/remove program group.That will then allow you to reinstall it. However, this removes stuff off the c:\ drive put does not seem to remove files from a netowrk loaction.:confused:

Chandima
12-04-2001, 12:19 PM
Look for the value of "installsource" in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GUID where GUID is the Product Code of your setup.

What happens if you just copy that value and paste in Explorer? Does it ask for login of some kind?

In the case of the CDROM, does it have the correct drive letter?