PDA

View Full Version : This is an older version of... Installer

dellwilson
11-14-2001, 08:55 AM
When running my installs on a few other machines, I get the message "1207: Windows(R) Installer 1.11.2405.0 found. This is an older version of The Windows(R) Installer. Click OK to continue."

I assume that I am getting this because the Installer on my development machine is a bit old, but I don't know how to update it.

Thanks
Dell

Chandima
11-14-2001, 12:15 PM
You are getting this ONLY on a Win2K right? Well for some reason Win2K shipped with an older version of Windows Installer than what was currently in circulation. Unfortunately the 1.2 engine (that comes with Express) cannot overwrite the the Win2K one (System File Protection). You can however disable this message from popping up by setting the "Suppress Launcher Warning" property in the "Build Your Release View".

dellwilson
11-14-2001, 12:24 PM
My build machine is Win2000. I've gotten this warning while installing on both NT 4 and 2000 machines.

Chandima
11-14-2001, 02:57 PM
Does setting the "Suppress Launcher Warning" property get rid of the message?

dellwilson
11-14-2001, 03:10 PM
Yes, it does.

bob kochem
11-19-2001, 08:43 PM
Sorry to jump in here, but I have similar problem.

I'm distributing a VB6 app using ISExpress3.5. Several people installed it OK but one says he gets an error message;

"Windows Installer:
The installation-package could not be installed by the installer.
Install a service-pack of a newer Installer-Service."

He is using Win98 SE on an Intel 366 MHz Celeron.

Coming from ISExpress2.0, I'm unfamiliar with this business of a Windows Installer.

Does he really have to install an upgrade on his system? And if so, where does he get it? Will he risk messing up something else on his system if he does? (I have seen systems brouyght to theiur knees by Microsoft incompatibilites in back-revs)

Is there anyway I can configure the SETUP so it works with his existing Windows Installer?

Please advise or, tell me where I should be posting this.

Thanks!!!

Bob Kochem

Chandima
11-20-2001, 04:47 PM
This is an issue that a few others also have. For some reason the Setup.exe has trouble launching the Windows Installer. The workaround is for this user to run (he can just double click) the instmsia.exe file that's with your setup (assuming you did an uncompressed build). This will install the Windows Installer and reboot the machine. After this your setup should run fine.

bob kochem
11-20-2001, 06:52 PM
Unfortunately, I did a "single self-extracting file" setup or whatever its called. All he has is one big file called "setup.exe". So, I don;t think he has access to the file you recommend.

At the risk of getting into a separate topic, I did not particularly want it to be one self-extracting file, but for all the other options like "CD-ROM" the resultant setupo & files end up in multiple directories. I need to distribute my setup files zipped into one file, and I can't do that if they're not all in the same directory.

So, is there another workaround I can use with the self-extracting file? Or, better still, is there some alternative to a self-extract file setup that will give all the resultant files in one directory, that I can then zip?

Thanks a lot!

Bob Kochem

Maurits Vlasman
11-21-2001, 05:51 AM
Hi Bob,

the best thing to do is to Build a CD Rom release. Make sure the parameter Compress Media is set to Yes. This will result in several files in one directory.
After that, you could use InstallShield PackageForTheWeb (free to download) to create one executable file of it.

This way of creating your setup has lots of pros, for example you will be able to manipulate the ISM-file manually (for example using Microsoft Orca) and on the user-machine, all installation-files can be saved to a given directory, so that future actions (like Add/Remove/Modify) can take place without any problem.
When distributing your installation as a single setup, this is sometimes not the case!

Hope this will help you.
Kind regards,

Maurits

Chandima
11-21-2001, 09:11 AM
I also had one user on this board confirm that this issue doesn't seem to happen with Windows Installer 2.0 engine. Express 3.53 builds setups with this as the default and will be available (free upgrad for 3.5x) users very soon.

For now you could ask him to do the following.

Run the setup
When this error message pops up, tell him to do a search for a file named instmsia.exe
This will be temoprarily extracted to a subfolder of the Temp folder
Tell him to make a copy of it and paste it somewhere (because the temp folder is cleaned up once the install finishes or interupts)
Press OK to get rid of the message
Now just double-click on the pasted copy of instmsia.exe. This will install the Windows Installer on his machine and your setup should run fine.

As Maurits mentioned, if you are using Single Exe setups I strongly suggest you use the cache on local machine option (I think it's exposed in 3.5).

bob kochem
11-21-2001, 03:45 PM
I will try the suggestions of the 2 preceding responses.

However, I must emphasize that it is important that;

1.) I can distribute the resultant setup in a single zipp'ed file that can be easily unzipped.

And

2.) That the user only needs to run the SETUP.EXE.

It is completely non-workable to require the user to manipulate other files (i.e. hunt for and run ismia.exe and then re-boot, or whatever) if the installation fails the first time.

1 and 2 are what I have a long history of expecting from setups developed using ISExpress 2.x and earlier VB. It was never necessary to resort to "workarounds" to get it to work.

I should explain that I am using this to post evaluation copies of software products. The zip file may originally be posted on my website and copied (many times) from site to site and/or re-distributed over various media.

In all cases, if the installation fails the potential customer is not going to ask about workarounds but is instead just going to reject the product.

Sorry for all the background, but I am just trying to make clear that I must end up with a simple and reliable install mechanism.

Bob Kochem