PDA

View Full Version : Creating user groups during installation ...

peterbi
07-23-2004, 12:15 PM
Hi,

I posted a similar question days ago, but no reply.

Here is what we want: during installation of our product, we want to create two user groups, ProductUsers and ProductGuests. ProductUsers will have 'all' permissions to our product files/dirs/regs, ProductGuest will only have read/execute permission. We will add Administrator to ProdutUsers group.

Can this be done with ISDev tables and ISScript? We had a similar thing done before with a dll (implemented with c++), but I would like to do it all with ISDev. And how?

Thanks,
Peter

huntant
07-26-2004, 10:39 AM
It will need to be done with a custom action. Create a function in C++ or InstallScript that will create the groups that you require.

I just finished implementing this in my install using C++.

Anthony

peterbi
07-27-2004, 01:50 PM
Anthony,

Thank you for your reply.

Did you do all the things with c++, or you just created the user groups with c++?

I finished creating user groups with c++, but is looking at IS for something that can help to setup file permissions for each user group. Is there anything for that in Developer704 (Basic)? I found file (right click) Properties->Permissions, but don't know if that's for it and don't know how to use it. If you have more information, please let me know.

Is there a way to do file security at directory level for different user groups?

Thanks,
Peter

huntant
07-27-2004, 02:03 PM
I just created the groups. I had no need to set any security on the groups.

For setting the permissions on the files, take a look at the LockPermissions table in the help.

Anthony

peterbi
07-27-2004, 04:29 PM
I read through some thread of previous posts, and got impression that 1) LockPermissions table only works at user level, but not user group(s) level; 2) it's buggy or imcomplete, lots people got unexpected results.

Is the above true? If so, I probably go look at other ways (c++, etc.), otherwise, I might look more in it with ISDev. I personally prefer to use ISDev (if it works and stable).

Thanks,
Peter

huntant
07-28-2004, 07:45 AM
Sorry, I don't know for sure if it is buggy. I've never had to set any file permissions. From looking over the docs it should work. Doesn't hurt to try. It will make your install a lot better if you can take advantage of it.
Besides, it saves you from having to write the code in a custom action.

Anthony