PDA

View Full Version : Installing the Data Repeater Control

commandcom
11-13-2001, 04:35 PM
Hi,

I've got an VB6 (SP5) application that uses the MSFT Data Repeater control on one of the forms. I include the MSDatRep.msm module in my InstallShield build. However, when the user installs the program and brings up the form containing the Data Repeater, they get an "unable to create ActiveX control" error messge. After clearing the dialog box, the form displays, but the area which should contain the Data Repeater control is (not suprisingly) empty.

I've looked around for updates to this MSM file on the InstallShield and MSFT site, but to no avail. Has anyone had a similar experience with this control? Is there a fix?

TIA

Chandima
11-14-2001, 11:33 AM
Is this file (msdatrep.ocx) installed to the target machine?
If so, see if manually registering it on the target machine makes your application work properly.

commandcom
11-14-2001, 04:40 PM
We confirmed that the msdatrep.ocx file was copied to System32 folder the target machine. We user regsvr32 to make sure the OCX was registered. The original problem is still occuring: the application cannot create the ActiveX control.

commandcom
11-15-2001, 11:39 AM
We found an KB on the MSFT site, that stated the ActiveX instanciation problem could be related to licensing. We ran the patch (VB6Cli.exe) and rebuild the install, but met with the same results.

We also know now that the user recieves three separate error while the application is being installed. The error messages can be summarized as:

Error 1931 Windows Installer Service cannot install <filename>

The filenames that cannot be installed are:

scrrun.dll
msado15.dll
msadco.dll

These files are included as part of the install as was recommened by the InstallShield VB scanning Wizard. The scripting runtime does make sense for the application, but were not sure what roles the other two files play (something to do with data access obviously; but wouldn't MDAC take care of this?).

Note that this install script has been running sucessfully for over a year in this configuation on WinNT and 2000 without ever encountering these error messages.

Were not sure if these error messages are related to the original ActiveX issue, but figured they were worth mentioning.

Chandima
11-15-2001, 02:31 PM
I strongly recomend removing msado15.dll from your setup and using the MDAC merge module instead. This file does very nasty things to Win2K machines (because it get's unregistered and makes Add/Remove Programs act really wierd!).

Using the MDAC merge mosule will install a fresh set of files and all Data Access related stuff will be ready for your application to use. Use the MDAC26 merge module because MDAC25 does NOT install on Win2K. This might (hopefully) solve your problem.