PDA

View Full Version : Global coordinates?

Jason Galterio
07-22-2004, 07:24 AM
I'm really surprised that there's no Global Coordinates option to position objects for display. Or is it that I'm just missing this option?

Dragging and dropping objects to position them makes it extremely difficult to line them up properly. It's even harder to do when there's no zoom function to look at the display up close.

JoannaG
07-22-2004, 09:44 AM
Hi Jason,

X and Y coordinates for a location in a scene can be found in the Status Bar located at the bottom of the DemoShield Designer Window. If the Status Bar is not visible, make sure the Status Bar is checked in the View menu.

When you select an Object, information about the task you are performing appears on the left side of the Status Bar.
The Object's name, screen position, width and height, and lifespan appears on the right side of the Status Bar.

When you point to an empty spot in the Designer Window, your current cursor position (X,Y) appears on the left side of the Status Bar.

Some objects and actions (Streaming Media Objects, Play Video Actions, Quick Video Objects, and all Life Properties) in DemoShield will allow you to specify the coordinates for the object or action.

I hope this is helpful.

Jason Galterio
07-22-2004, 10:10 AM
The location information in the status bar actually disappears when an object is selected and dragged. It only reappears when the object is released / placed. So while the status bar information is nice for double checking the placement, it's not very useful for actually doing the placement.

What I was hoping for was some sort of interface where I can just enter the location that I want an object to appear in.

For example, if I'm setting up a vertical sequence of buttons I would want all of their horizontal positions to be identical, which would mean they would all line up on the same point. In addition, since I would know what the height of each object is, I could input the vertical positions and be sure that they all have the same distance between them.

I'm really surprised that this option is nowhere to be found.

Placement of objects is extremely haphazard since there doesn't seem to be an Align command or a Zoom command. Which means the placement seems to be no more than a trial and error effort.

Also, is there any way to change the background color of the workspace? Since the background of my projects are usually black, I lose the border between visible area and invisable area.

JoannaG
07-22-2004, 10:16 AM
Hi Jason,

A feature request for this functionality has been submitted to our Development team for consideration in a future release. We appreciate your feedback.

There is an Alignment toolbar in DemoShield that allows you to select multiple objects and then align them left, right, top, or bottom. There are also centering and spacing options available in this toolbar.

You can change the Design Window Fill Color in the Tools | Options | Color menu.

Jason Galterio
07-22-2004, 10:31 AM
Okay, my apologies. I have no idea why I never noticed the Align function. I remember hunting around for this function about a year ago and can't imagine why I couldn't find it.