PDA

View Full Version : Help with custom actions

dellwilson
11-13-2001, 07:50 AM
Hi y'all

I am trying to run a custom action (exe). I get no build errors, but I also get no custom action upon install. My program never runs.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Dell

Chandima
11-13-2001, 08:56 AM
What version of Express are you using?
Assuming it is Express 3.x, are you launching it during Install or Uninstall?
Where in the install are you launching it from?
Are you using any Command Line parameters?
What happens if you leave all properties the same and simply change the file being launched with Notepad.exe?

dellwilson
11-13-2001, 09:12 AM
Thanks for responding. Answers are below.

What version of Express are you using? 3.03

Assuming it is Express 3.x, are you launching it during Install or Uninstall? Install

Where in the install are you launching it from? After File Transfer

Are you using any Command Line parameters? Yes, one string constant followed by "[INSTALLDIR]"

What happens if you leave all properties the same and simply change the file being launched with Notepad.exe? No notepad.

dellwilson
11-13-2001, 09:21 AM
More info:

I changed program to Notepad, removed the command line args, changed to "After Setup Complete Dialog" and I get an error message "Internal Error 2762."

Please help.
Dell

Chandima
11-14-2001, 10:57 AM
Error 2762 is a bug we found in 3.03 and then fixed in 3.50. It happens when you specify an exe Custom Action in the Execute Sequence (After File Transfer, After Register Product, etc..) and then move it to "After Setup Complete Dialog".

Try the following. Delete the Custom Action altogether. Save the project, close and reopen (Just to be sure!). Now create a new Custom Action that launches your executable and set it to run after Setup Complete Dialog. Let me know what happens.

dellwilson
11-14-2001, 01:15 PM
Ok. That worked. Does that mean that I am limited to running EXEs only at 'Setup Complete Dialog'?

Chandima
11-14-2001, 03:06 PM
No. You can (technically) run them where ever you want. It's safer to run it after a dialog though because you know it is not going to interfere with all the file copying and registering and stuff going on in the back ground (in the Execute Sequence).

You will get this error in 3.03 (Fixed in 3.5) if you move the Custom Action from one location to the very last point.