PDA

View Full Version : How do I rename a file

HumorMe
07-20-2004, 04:46 PM
I am using X Express. I have a file that I am frequently making changes to. It has to have 1 name while I am working on it, and another when I deploy it with my application. If I make renaming it a manual step, then I might forget. Instead, I'm hoping that there is some way to add the file to my install such that the source file name stays the same, yet it gets installed with a different name. So far, I haven't been able to get this functionality. Does anyone know whether it is possible?

Thanks,
AJ

Mike Marino
07-20-2004, 06:21 PM
First let me state that there is no good way to do this in Express. This type of functionality is more geared towards our Professional tier.

With that said...there is a "hacky" way to do this. It requires Orca.exe, and editing the Express Project File directly, so if you are game, here is what you need to do:

1. Open you ISE (or ISM) fproject file in Orca.exe.
2. Go to the File Table
3. Find the record for your file.
4. Modify the ISBuildSourcePath location for that record to point to the Source name of your file.

That's it. This assumes you added the file to the project with the name you want on the Target location.

HumorMe
07-21-2004, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the reply. I probably won't use the hack. While I understand it and could do it, it wouldn't be very nice from a maintainability standpoint. I don't want to confuse future build masters here. I can probably figure another work around in my development environment. It probably just means renaming the fil in a bunch of places. I was hoping for an easy out, but it's no big deal. Thanks again for the quick response, and that Orca trick might come in handy someday.

-AJ