PDA

View Full Version : Patching and File Versions

johnludlow
07-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Hi, all

I have successfully built my 9th patch after two days of hair-pulling. (...and there was much rejoicing and dancing in the street etc etc etc...) I had this issue of one file not being updated, which I traced down to the version number.

The version number for the file was 7.2.0.18 before the patch, and 7.2.0.19 after. Or at least, that's what I wanted. But it wasn't being updated. Upping the version number to 7.2.1.19 fixed it.

Ok, so then, this seems to echo the system Windows Installer uses to compare installation version numbers. But in that case, I have a couple of questions:

- Why has this not manifested itself sooner? Until now we have always updated the 4th element of the version for files unless it's a major difference. A product upgrade or some such thing. It started about the time we switched to using IS X, so has IS X done something... freaky?

- Isn't updating the 4th element for something like a hotfix the normal way to do things?

- Why has it only failed to update this one particular file? There are other files with versions that have only been updated in the 4th element, but these have been updated by the patch.

- How can I make it check the full version number? I have tried using the version override thing, but it didn't make much of a difference. It's also not what I wanted to do - it's not a real version compare, is it?

Thanks

CharlesW
07-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Are you using a "universal" project, or are you using a .ism project (i.e. windows installer)?

If using a windows installer based project please post your question under the following URL:

http://community.installshield.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=135

johnludlow
07-21-2004, 04:31 AM
Sorry! I've now posted in the correct place