PDA

View Full Version : standard install upgrades

phess420
07-19-2004, 05:26 PM
Hello, I have made serveral installers to install our files on a customers server. They are standard installers compressed into one setup.exe which contains my necessary files and a few .exe's. We send out new software releases every couple months. I am having a issue with trying to upgrade one of our products thats already installed by installshield. I immediately get the maintenance screen to modify, repair, or remove. I chose modify because my new installer had one new file in it and I was hoping it would just add that new file, it did not. They only way I could get it to work was by uninstalling my old version and installing the new version. Is there an easy way to make an upgrade process so our customers do not have to uninstall an old version everytime there is a new version? Thank you for any help, it is appreciated

Arman_Legend
07-20-2004, 12:59 AM
Yes I know why that happens.

Basically what you want to do is a major upgrade. For that you need to have your Product Code and Product Version Unique Numbers. However they all must have the same Upgrade Code.

So for Example If the product code of a software 'A' is 23 with version 1.0.0.1, and you want to upgrade to 'B', you have to change the Product Code and Version Number to a different number. It really doesnt matter what, solong as they differ.

The product Key can differentiate between each products. Products with the same Upgrade Code belong to the same family therefore can be upgraded. The Product Version number then differentiate the latest from the older version.