PDA

View Full Version : RPM Integration

Bill Medland
07-15-2004, 07:55 PM
Are there any white papers or anything on what InstallShield mean by RPM Integration?
I tried to find out by using the AdvancedTutorial and seeing what it did (with a premier evaluation) but it didn't do anything either on RedHat 8.0 or Red Hat Desktop. Anyone know why?

brianl
07-16-2004, 11:32 AM
What RPM integration does (what it is supposed to do ;-) is register each of the components in your project in the RPM database on an RPM aware Linux system. Note that only the components (not the features or product) will get entries in RPM, and they will be registered with the name given by the UID under the Key property of the component. Try 'rpm -qa | grep UID', where UID is the UID of one of your components.

If the components are definitely not registered, then try running the setup with debugging options (see http://www.installshield.com/news/newsletter/0402-articles/bug.asp). This will create a verbose log file in the install directory that will show all of the rpm commands that the installer is trying to run to get the components registered.

Bill Medland
07-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Thanks Brian

Hm!! Unimpressive.

I see that it only records the component, not the files it contains. That is why I couldn't find the package name by asking which package included a certain file.

Since the information doesn't include the file list I don't really see what use it is.

It seems to me that the package naming based on a GUID may make theoretical sense but doesn't fit in well with normal RPM usage. Changing the GUID to a text and setting the versions seems to result in the installer being unable to register with rpm.

Thanks anyway.

jameswnl
10-18-2004, 01:21 PM
Hi,

Can IS X build the installer as rpm packages which can get installed by executing "rpm -i xxx" ?

We need this to comply with "Novell Ready Program Agreement" (for sus linux) which has a requirement in 1.1 Software Products (http://www.novell.com/partners/isvihv/ready/agreement.html),

=================
The application uses RPM as the installation method, automatically resolves all dependent packages (if necessary) and does not conflict with any OS packages.
=================

Thanks

Bill Medland
10-18-2004, 01:55 PM
Unless something has changed in the past couple of months, the answer is "No". IS X cannot actually build rpm packages that can be installed by rpm itself.