PDA

View Full Version : change installation directory based on a java property

freecandykids
07-15-2004, 03:45 PM
i have downloaded a custom file finder bean that returns a java property containing the path the file is located to a variable called: $J(locale)

how can i change my installation directory to reflect the value within $J(locale) and thus installing my product in the directory that contains the file i have searched for.

RobertDickau
07-15-2004, 04:01 PM
Perhaps use $J(locale) as all or part of the Install Location property for the root Product bean?

freecandykids
07-15-2004, 04:20 PM
let's see if i can be more specific. since setting my feature install locations as $J(locale) hasnt yielded any success, what ive done is fed the $J(locale) value to my variable that lies within my browseControl on my Destination dialog. Everything seems to be working fine, as it displays this location within the browseControl. However when i attempt to install, it's changing my installation directory to this format:
<the location of my setup file>\<the value of $J(locale)
in my case:
C:\My InstallShield X Projects\EssInstall\c:\

c:\ being the location of the file i have searched for and all i want my install location to be.

it just doesnt make sense because the value displays absolutely correctly when i view it on my Destination dialog, and this additional path is somehow getting appended.

i suppose that makes my next option to parse the install string that contains this value...soo, how can i parse a java property variable and throw it into a useable string? god i hate technology.

chirags
07-19-2004, 03:22 PM
I believe you have set the feature install locations as $J(locale) and not the root product bean's install location. Please set the root product bean's install location to $J(locale) and just leave the install location properties of features and components to empty. This should install your product at $J(locale).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Chirag