PDA

View Full Version : Install Shield

tekgan
07-15-2004, 03:39 PM
Hi,

Please guide me.

All our customers have sybase as thier backend and now we want to migrate to SQL server. So I have to send a CD to our customers with the free SQL version(MSDE) and everything has to be automated.My CD shud be able to install MSDE in the clients machine and create the schema and transfer the data from thier db to our .mdf(MSDE DB-Free SQL server version) db.
I even have the .SQL script files to create the schema.
Can anyone guide me the best approach to proceed with this.
Can I achieve this using InstallShield .I have INstallShield 2.3.
If I can achieve this trhu installShield can you please tell me how.
Very urgent
Thanks

muzzylane
07-19-2004, 09:20 AM
A fairly simple approach is to call osql.exe as a custom action that will open your schema afterh the product has been registered.

After MSDE is installed the MSSQL${YourInstanceName} service will start just before your product registers itself.

OSQL will be installed on the client machine with the Installshield MSDE merge module for Windows NT.

So call it and put the sql file in the command line for the action like this:

Source Location: File exists on target computer
File Loc: [ProgramFilesFolder]Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\binn
File name and cmd line: osql -E -S [ComputerName]\{Your instanceName} -n -i "[INSTALLDIR]\{Path to your SQL script}"

Hope that helps,

Adam

tekgan
07-19-2004, 11:06 AM
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the reply. I will try it. This is the firsttime I am trying Install shield. If you cud provide me a little bit more detaio if you have time then it wud be great. But meanwhile I will give it a try and try to figure out.
Thanks you very much.