PDA

View Full Version : Problems with games using InstallShield.

Nirvanik
11-10-2001, 05:26 AM
I have a problem regarding games using InstallShield. After unpacking, some error message comes out. It says wrong version/engine number, or something like that.

Chandima
11-12-2001, 09:28 AM
Is your system a Windows 98 system?
Does the message say anything about a "Windows Installer"?
Is there a file on the CD named instmsia.exe?
Create a simple text file on your machine and change it's extension to "msi". Does your computer give this file an icon?

Nirvanik
11-17-2001, 06:50 AM
It says: Incompatible RPC version stub number 0x???????(bunch of numbers)(not sure if it says "stub")

Nirvanik
11-17-2001, 06:54 AM
To Chandima:
1: I'm using Win98
2: No.
3: Not sure. The CD's not mine. All InstallShield made installers/uninstallers don't work and give out an error
4: Yes. It creates an icon. A computer of some sort.

Chandima
11-19-2001, 03:09 PM
Does it say anything about an Ikernal.exe? There was a problem about a week ago where a Norton Anti Virus Update wrongly detected the Ikernal file to have a virus and then quarantines it and deletes it. This is most probably what happened to you as well. Norton then released an updated Virus Definition that doesn't do this anymore. I'm afraid that's about all I know. Try making this post on "Installshield Products - General" web-board. There is a long thread going there dealing with this issue (NIMDA virus) and you might be able to get more info from there.