PDA

View Full Version : InstallShield generates 2 same short filenames

caywen
07-14-2004, 08:16 PM
I'm currently investigating installation anomalies and am noticing something odd about my file table:

File - (s72) | Component_ -(s72) | Filename - (s255) ...
------------------+-------------------+--------------------------------
HelloWorldFoo.dll | HelloWorldFoo.dll | HELLOW~1.DLL|HelloWorldFoo.dll
HelloWorldBar.dll | HelloWorldBar.dll | HELLOW~1.DLL|HelloWorldBar.dll

Notice how the Filename column's short filenames are both exactly the same. Why?? I did not edit the File table directly. Instead, I had added the second component via InstallShield's normal UI and would expect it to handle this correctly.

Is this normal? Will it cause strange installation problems for customers? We are seeing strange installation problems internally, but have not yet attributed it to this.

-Kevin

caywen
07-14-2004, 08:18 PM
By the way, I realize I can edit the File table myself, and I understand how short filenames work in general. My question is whether it's *supposed* to be different in the InstallShield's table editor UI, and whether changing it to a supposedly correct value will confuse InstallShield or not.

Mariapr
07-15-2004, 12:31 AM
I was confronted by alike difficulties too:

InstallShield creates the same short file names for different files; it seems that when I edit the File table in InstallShield directly, these changes loose effect during the build.
finally, I get the MSI Validation error (ICE30, if I'm not mistaken).

so how does it work with the short file names?

caywen
07-15-2004, 11:14 AM
Thanks for replying. I currently don't quite know how it affects things yet because we're having trouble reproducing some problems that some customers are experiencing. So, in my hunt for installer anomalies in the project, I found this oddity...

As soon as I learn how this behaves I'll post it here. In the meanwhile, can someone from InstallShield shed some light on this? I have a feeling this is not an isolated problem.