PDA

View Full Version : Direct X 9.0 Merge module

muzzylane
07-14-2004, 11:59 AM
I'm trying to deploy a IS X Express project with Direct X 9.0.

When I try to change the object properties it gives an "Unknown Error" pop-up. Later when I install it doesn't check for the existence of Direct X on the machine. It just reinstalls itself every time.

In the documentation it says that this is fixed. Does that apply to IS X Express as well as IS X Pro and Premier. Is there a patch or upgrade?

Thanks,

Adam

Mike Marino
07-20-2004, 06:13 PM
You can ignore "Unknown Error". There are no properties to configure.

The idea behind the DX9 object was to do exactly what the dxsetup.exe would do if you ran it twice (if also extract all files in attempts to repair any potential problems.)

However, as you point out, it would be nice if our object checked for DirectX9 before installing, and not run the install if the same version is found.

If you replace the version of DX9Helper.dll in the InstallShield Objects' folder (just search for DX9Helper.dll -- there is only one) with the version of DX9Helper.dll attached to this thread, DX9 will only install if it is not already installed.

I have done limited testing on this version, so please let me know if you experience any problems with it.

muzzylane
07-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks Mike,

That seems to work so far on a box where DirectX9.0b is already installed.
The main issue isn't the dialog asking if the user would like to install direct X, but the fact that if the user selects No, the whole installation is cancelled.

Say for instance that a user without administrative privileges to install DirectX9.0b wishes to add a compenent/feature. Currently if direct X is included in the always install feature, they are forced to try to install it every time necessitating the creation of another feature just for directX.

Thanks for the help,

Adam

Mike Marino
07-21-2004, 10:55 AM
I could change the 'No' on the DX9 License Agreement dialog to not cancel the setup. Would that help?

muzzylane
07-21-2004, 11:25 AM
Yes that would definitely help.

Ideally that functionality together with information regarding the current directX installed on the system would be combined.

(i.e. This program requires directX9.0 to run. You have directX9.0 installed on your system. Do you wish to install DirectX 9.0)

Thanks,

Adam

Mike Marino
07-22-2004, 03:10 PM
OK. Try this version.