PDA

View Full Version : File Extensions Not Being Created!

Neil Taylor
11-09-2001, 05:12 AM
Hi

ExpressShield 3.03

I have a simple project and I am trying to register a .bpc file extension.

What I am finding is this:

1. It does not retain the .exe you are linking to - if you exit and go back into the project. It allows you to select from the [Installdir]winuix.exe file from the drop downlist then loses it somewhere along the line.

2. It does not register the file extensions.

I am also trying to find out what the ProgID is for as the format is ext1.file? I cannot find anything meaningful in the help.

I am willing to accept it maybe me misunderstanding on how to set these file extensions - but is there any clear documentation or recorded problems with this area?

Cheers

Neil Taylor

Chandima
11-09-2001, 09:44 AM
That's odd. What feature is your exe associated with? When you select the file from the dropdown does it show as [InstallDir] or [INSTALLDIR] (just wondering whether you made a typing error)?

There was an issue with 3.03 where you could manually create a folder named [InstallDir]. This does NOT however behave like the normal [INSTALLDIR] and was causing some nasty things. Could this be your case? If so, try creating a new project, add [INSTALLDIR] from the right click menu, add your exe and try the File Extension.

As far as I am concerned the ProgID and ProgID description is not something I worry too much about. When testing I just put anything I feel like because it get's written to the registry. however I could be gravely mistaken about this ;)

Neil Taylor
11-09-2001, 10:49 AM
Hi Chandima

I think the problem is dynamic linking in that if you point to a .exe which is in a dynamically linked directory, it does not save it to the project.

If you add directory to the [INSTALLDIR] and point the file extension to it works!

I can live with that.

Cheers

Neil