PDA

View Full Version : Automation Resources and Color Depth

EthanBedwyr
07-13-2004, 01:16 PM
It seems to me that some versions of DemoShield Designer did not allow automation resources to be created using the Automation Wizard if the screen captures were displayed in greater than 256 colors.

I've noticed now that I am able to create automations at greater color depths and I only get a warning that my "AppCam (will) be very large and limited in duration".

Aside from the obvious increase in file sizes, are there any other side effects or issues I should be aware of if I use, say, 24-bit color for the images in my automations?

Am I apt to run into problems with the end user's system having to buffer the automation or something, potentially throwing off the timing of my videos? What exactly does the warning mean when it says the AppCam will be "limited in duration"? Is that just assuming I'm going to want to MAKE them shorter to save disk space? Maybe there's an arbitrary limit to the size of an automation and I'm more likely to run up against that limit using higher color depths?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JoannaG
07-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Hello Ethan,

There is a 6MB limit on AppCam file size, and recording at true or high color mode can easily exceed this limit. Also, any Automation Resource greater than 4 MB must be imported through "By Reference" into the Resource Manager.

The size of your automation and demo may be important when considering the type of distribution you are creating. Objects and Resources imported by reference are incompatible with DemoX. The smaller each Scene of your Demo is, the more efficiently your Demo downloads and starts playing with DemoX and DemoNow.

I hope this is helpful.