PDA

View Full Version : QuickPatch won't update text file

Nickkim
07-13-2004, 12:14 PM
I've been having an issue with QuickPatch that I want to know if anyone else out there has had the same problem with. I can't seem to get QuickPatch to update a text file. Here's the reproduce steps:

1. create a basic msi project that includes just one text file. note the text file with the text "original" so that you know it's the isntalled file.

2. create a QuickPatch project using the msi file created from above. create another text file with the same name as the "original" but note it with "patched" so you can check if it gets updated. use this "patched" file to update installed text file. I've made the patch with the option to "overwrite" on as well as off.

3. Install the original.

4. Run the patch.

Result: During the copying phase of the patch the installer will hang. It hangs for 20 minutes and then time out with a "Installer not responding" error message.

I've made patches before and never had any problem but all those other times I was updating DLL or EXE files. I've reproduced this on several different machines. I've also tried InstallShield 8, 9 and X and had same problem. I brought this up with InstallShield and they haven't been able to reproduce it on their side. They've sent me sample installer and quickpatch files and I was able to build it and run it on my machine. I've sent them my sample installer and patch and when they run it they are able to reproduce the problem but when they rebuild it on their machine the problem is fixed. I just don't understand what the problem may be. Anyone got any ideas?

Mike Marino
07-15-2004, 09:42 PM
Make sure you update the QuickPatch Verison property of the QuickPatch you are creating. This is done in the General Information View.