PDA

View Full Version : Looking for MSI

inovxSolutions
11-08-2001, 06:43 PM
My original install used an upgrade path. It worked fine. But I decided not to use the upgrade path, changed the product code and the upgrade code because the install would not work. Ever since then, I have been getting a prompt looking for an msi (see attached). Is there a way I can resolve this problem?

AnneJo
11-09-2001, 07:48 AM
I too am having the same problems. I installed the package from a single image build. a colleague unbeknown to me altered some of the files so when I recompiled it it failed to work. We have now got it back into the original state but it keeps complaining that the msi is on anunavailable network resource which it isn't.I have tried unc namming conventions but I cannot uninstall the package and install it again. Any advice please?

Chandima
11-09-2001, 09:58 AM
To uninstall these programs you can try using Msi Cleanup. You can download it and get more info about it from http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q307/6/53.ASP

The main reason for this to happen is using a Compressed Single Exe. During the install the msi is copied to a temp location, installed from there, and then deleted with the Temp folder cleanup. This issue is fixed in 3.5x though because now you have the ability to cache the msi to location of your choice.

Does this happen when you try to uninstall or repair? Technically trying to uninstall the product should NOT ask for the source msi. However we recently found an issue with the BDE merge module that does this.

AnneJo
11-09-2001, 10:05 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/suppor...s/Q238/4/13.ASP

If the above doesn't point you to the right solution the windows installer cleanup utility will.
Chandima had recommended this in an earlier question.
It workks!

inovxSolutions
11-09-2001, 12:04 PM
This usually happens during uninstall. Do you know if this happens in Developer 7? Is it better have a compressed install (just the setup.exe) or uncompressed?

Chandima
11-09-2001, 12:21 PM
If you don't have the BDE merge module in your project, then this is probably to do with the Compressed SingleImage build. Developer 7 does not have this problem because just like in Express 3.5x, it allows you to specify a location to cache your msi (from a Compressed Single Image).

If you use uncompressed builds however by default a copy of the original msi is made to C:\Windows\Installer.