PDA

View Full Version : Updateable Installs

CodespringsMike
07-13-2004, 08:18 AM
We are using InstallShield X Professional to re-design an installation program that was designed with InstallShield 3. I am having a hard time figuring out how to do what we need to do.

Here is the scenario - We distribute PC Based desktop applications on a subscription basis. This particular product goes out every month with new data and sometimes new executables. The current functionality (Installshield 3) allows our users to install a product as many times as they want. When they re-launch the setup.exe, it simply acts if it is the first time they are trying to install with the exception that it finds where it was previously installed and reccomends that as the target directory.

Is there a way to duplicate this same kind of functionality without using versioning within installshield? Or should I be using the verison property in InstallShield to control the updates. (This is ok but gets to be a hassle since we release every month and I did not see any command line type build paramaters for upgrading the install package version number).

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Mike

RobertDickau
07-13-2004, 09:11 AM
As far as changing project information (such as the version) goes, you might look into the Automation interface, which lets you programmatically modify the contents of your .ism file...