PDA

View Full Version : updating windows registry

Scott1999
07-12-2004, 03:41 PM
I have a question about how to update registry entries.

I have a .reg file that was created when I exported from the registry (on win2k). The registry key that I'm changing is the one that sets the windows service from "manual" to "automatic". I want to now update the registry to reflect this particular change.

In my Installation Designer, under Behavior and Logic --> Sequences --> Install, there is an option called "Windows Registry Update". I used this to create an action that is supposed to update the registry when I pass it an edited .reg file. However, when I try to do this, the service does not get set to "automatic."

The help doesn't say much about this. I know how to delete certain keys in the registry by placing a minus sign in front the directory location but I'm not sure about updating the registry off a .reg file.

Can someone please advise me if I'm doing anything wrong here?

Thanks.

mholland
07-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Did you export in regedit 4 format?

mike.

Originally posted by Scott1999
I have a question about how to update registry entries.

I have a .reg file that was created when I exported from the registry (on win2k). The registry key that I'm changing is the one that sets the windows service from "manual" to "automatic". I want to now update the registry to reflect this particular change.

In my Installation Designer, under Behavior and Logic --> Sequences --> Install, there is an option called "Windows Registry Update". I used this to create an action that is supposed to update the registry when I pass it an edited .reg file. However, when I try to do this, the service does not get set to "automatic."

The help doesn't say much about this. I know how to delete certain keys in the registry by placing a minus sign in front the directory location but I'm not sure about updating the registry off a .reg file.

Can someone please advise me if I'm doing anything wrong here?

Thanks.

Scott1999
07-12-2004, 05:49 PM
I exported it in regedit version 5, if that's what you were asking. I just ran the regedit.exe /s command. I'm not sure if there what you mean by regedit4....

Does this have to be in regedit4 format for Installshield X to properly read the .reg file?

mholland
07-12-2004, 05:54 PM
yes - it has to be in regedit version 4 format.

mike.