PDA

View Full Version : JVM bundles

Beremates
07-08-2004, 04:55 AM
Hello,

I work with Unix platforms, so i created a Universal Installer project and only build the "generic unix distribution" installation.

Can i specify more than one JVM bundles for my "generic unix distribution" installation (i try to install my application on some extraordinary unix distributions (Open Edition, ZLinux)).

I found nothing in the help-library.

Thanks in advance

Beremates

MarloV
07-12-2004, 01:10 PM
Only one bundled JVM can be included in a project. You can search for them all, tho, for each targeted platform.

Beremates
07-12-2004, 03:23 PM
That means i can put all jvm bundles in a subdirectory on my cd and if the customer need to install the jvm then he can specify the directory?

Can i create more than one media files in a project (so i could specify for each media file an jvm bundle)?

Beremates

MarloV
07-12-2004, 03:29 PM
You can only bundle one JVM per platform. You can set up JVM Resolution to search the target machine for any and all of the JVM searches that are available--it does not search the installation for them. And these are 2 separate processes.

Please see the Help Library topics (http://helpnet.installshield.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?tpc=/robo/projects/isxuniversalhelplibrary/topics/working_with_jvm_resolution.htm) that explain how to set up JVM Resolution.

Beremates
07-13-2004, 04:50 AM
I don't understand. In your first statement you write that i can use one jvm in a project. In your last statement you say one per platform. One per platform will be perfect for me.

MarloV
07-13-2004, 07:44 AM
I misspoke the first time - You can bundle one JVM for each targeted platform.

Sorry for the confusion.

Marlo

Stef W.
07-14-2004, 09:25 AM
What if the installation needs more than one generic UNIX platform? (ie... Dec and something else) How do you create multiple generic platforms or multiple runtimes for a generic platform so the installations can run on the generic machine of choice?

MarloV
07-14-2004, 09:36 AM
The one Generic UNIX distribution can be used on all of the targeted UNIX platforms.

Stef W.
07-14-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. Under the build option for the Generic Unix I can select only one bundled JVM but if the application runs under DEC and Red Hat ENTERPRISE Linux how would I select to include both JVMs for the different platforms?

MarloV
07-14-2004, 01:55 PM
You can create a separate distribution for Linux (and be sure to "include" it under Platform Support, also in the Releases view) because there is a platform pack for Linux (and ones for Solaris and HP-UX) -- those platforms don't need to use the Generic UNIX distribution.

CharlesW
07-14-2004, 03:40 PM
You are limited to bundling only one JRE per launcher. You might create additional generic unix launchers, each with a different bundled JRE. If you are not embedding setup.jar, then you could create a "dummy" project which did nothing more than create a launcher with a specifc bundle. Be sure that you set the "archive name" property to the same value as that in your main project. After the "dummy" project is build, just copy the generic unix launcher into the same location as your main projects build ouput.

Note: be sure that you configure the JVM resolution (under additional tools) for the dummy project as well.

Stef W.
07-15-2004, 02:49 AM
Could you be more specific on how I could create additional Generic launchers.

It sounds as if I must:
1.) Set the Generic options to one machine.

2.) Compile the code to get the launcher.

3.) Change the code for the generic options to the next machine.

4.) Compile the code for the next launcher .....

Using the launcher bean with a JVM resolution ID normally comes after the program is already launched. It doesn't solve the problem that the target machine doesn't have a runtime and the program can't install until one is unpacked in the temp directory.

CharlesW
07-15-2004, 07:49 AM
I was referring to the launcher distribution found under media->releases. Not a launcher bean. The JVM resolution for these launcher distributions are configured under "additional tools->JVM resolution.

If you prefer, you can also enable 5.x views (under tools->options". After doing this, you can specify the bundled JVM and any JVM search instructions under the properties for the individul launcher distribution.

I suggest that you do this using a dummy project because this will allow you to avoid building your main project again (which may be time consuming), simply to build a new launcher. The dummy project will be nothing more than a default project with the launcher distribution configured.