PDA

View Full Version : VBuild dead?

RickNTA
07-07-2004, 12:08 AM
I take it VBuild is no longer sold? It doesn't show up anywhere in the IS product lists - and this forum seems deserted.... anybody have any info? TIA.

Stefan Krueger
07-09-2004, 05:34 AM
That's true, vBuild has been discontinued. Technical support for existing customers is still available if they purchased a support plan.

RickNTA
07-09-2004, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the info. Do you know if there's any IS technology that has replaced the VBuild functionality - which I understand was to reduce the size of update setups by deploying only changes at the bit level?

Stefan Krueger
07-09-2004, 09:04 AM
No for InstallScript setups.
Windows Installer (MSI) technology however has built in support for binary-difference patches. Which InstallShield product/version are you using to build your setups?

RickNTA
07-09-2004, 09:58 AM
I'm using IS Prof. 7 (have DevStudio but it won't compile properly on my machine). I haven't used MSI and wasn't aware that's an advantage of it. Do you know of anything that works with Prof 7?

And just out curiosity - since my Mom is German - where in Germany are you? She comes from the Ingolstadt/Augsburg area....

Stefan Krueger
07-09-2004, 11:37 AM
You could try RTPatch:
http://www.pocketsoft.com

I'm near Wuerzburg, that#s half way between Frankfurt and Nuernberg.

tw0001
07-10-2004, 12:58 AM
Netopsystems FEAD Optimizer (same thing Adobe 6 uses). Much better compression than anything I've ever seen.

BrightonGuy
07-15-2004, 11:24 AM
Nice for InstallShield to let their existing vBuild customers know about this! I came here looking for the last update. Moved my build process to a newer machine, so I'm reinstalling all my software. I installed from my vBuild 2.0 CD, tried using the update service to fetch the last update (to vBuild 2.1) and to my surprise, it said no updates are available.

Hey InstallShield, I still need to be able to update to 2.1. Any way to get me access to the last update?

Stefan Krueger
07-15-2004, 11:32 AM
Please contact InstallShield directly (e.g. through MySupport) to get the update.