PDA

View Full Version : modifying msi file does not change name in Add/Remove Programs

Chiara
07-05-2004, 01:42 PM
i changed the summary name and product name within the MSI file, but when i install it, the original product name is still there..

is there any way to change the name in the Add/Remove programs? thank you

luke_s
07-05-2004, 05:52 PM
Are you running an upgrade?

If you just simply install the same msi again and just change the summary name and product name, these changes will not be made to the system.

You will need to look at a minor upgrade, or major upgrade.

Chiara
07-05-2004, 05:54 PM
i am not running an upgrade, but i have a setup.exe with an uncompressed msi file, and changing the product name there does not work.
is there a way to change the product name in the MSI file?

luke_s
07-05-2004, 06:08 PM
You will probably need to edit the msi file with orca or install shield (direct edit mode). I am not %100 sure of the top of me head, but I think you need to change the 'ProductName' property.

Chiara
07-05-2004, 06:09 PM
this is what i have done, but for some reason it still shows the original name in the Add/Remove programs

is it because of the original person writing the product name in the Release?

luke_s
07-05-2004, 06:18 PM
You should be able to change all of the values by editing the msi file.

This will not work is if the product is already installed on the system, and you will need to run an upgrade to change this name.

Chiara
07-06-2004, 12:09 PM
i did change the product name in the MSI
but it still shows as the original name in the Add/remove programs...
and i do not have it installed....

Chiara
07-06-2004, 12:15 PM
using Orca, i went into the "Property" table and modified the "ProductName" property. But when i install, i get the old product name
i need to use a setup.exe file to install even though the msi file is uncompressed. is that a problem?

luke_s
07-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Setup.exe is only a wrapper that calls the msi file to install.

I just ran a test on my machine and when I changed the ProductName property in the Property table, then changed the display name for add/remove programs.

If this does not happen on your machine then possibly there are old msi files lying around on your pc.

Try searching inside the %temp% folder, and under the %Windir%\Installer for rogue msi files from old installs.

Chiara
07-06-2004, 06:31 PM
thank you
how do I know which msi to delete? (since all of them are coded already)

luke_s
07-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Well you will probably need to look at all of them (open with orca) and if any of them are from your install and your install is NOT installed, then you can remove the file.

Chiara
07-06-2004, 06:34 PM
okay, thanks a lot!

but since i have already sent out the first version to some beta customers, does that mean they will need to do the same thing?

Chiara
07-07-2004, 01:29 PM
i removed all the msi files i can find, and also removed any properties i see related to the application in regedit.

but still the name comes out as the original product name.

could there be other reasons why it is not changing?

Chiara
07-07-2004, 01:47 PM
so, after i installed, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\
i see the correct product name

also, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
i also see the correct product name

but in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield_{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX} (number changed) i get the original product name

and i am pretty sure all these 3 entries are added after I have installed the product again...

why would the third key show up as the one in Add/Remove programs?

luke_s
07-07-2004, 07:05 PM
I still think that you have multiple copies of your install on the same machine.

If you have two entries in the Uninstall part of the registry then you must have the product installed twice. If it has something like - InstallShield-"XXX" then this is usually an install script install that does not use windows installer.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products

Find your product, then look at the InstallProperties folder. The UninstallString value will have something like -

MsiExec.exe /I{12345678-2F4A-11D3-ADA3-00C04F52DD52}

The last part (guid) will match a value under the Uninstall registry area. This is the correct uninstall entry for your product.

Why do you need to change this value for products that are already out at customer sites??

I would just change the name for future upgrades and leave it at that. The instructions I gave you for removing all of the temporary files and should only be followed if you know exactly what you are doing. This should NOT be done by a customer :)

Chiara
07-13-2004, 04:36 PM
this is still a pain in the butt

question for luke: when you changed your msi file, did you rebuild your setup.exe?
because this is an installer given from a third party, all i can do is edit the msi without rebuilding.

there cannot be 2 copies of the application in there...i was pretty sure i removed every possible thing from the registry after i have uninstalled it last time.

this is driving me nuts...arghhh! :(

luke_s
07-13-2004, 05:59 PM
Ummm if this is a third party product, then i would not start editing the msi file.....

But anyway, the setup.exe will not need to be rebuilt, you can just edit the msi directly and this should fix the problem.

If you follow my instructions from the other posts, then your problem should be solved.