PDA

View Full Version : Launching an MSI

abraxas
11-06-2001, 09:05 AM
Hello Everyone,

I have what I thought was a simple task. I created an MSI file that installs perfectly :D but the problem is this. Not all users will have the IS script engine installed - so I need to create an MSI bootstrapper (setup.exe) that launches the MSI file after checking if the IS engine is installed. Since it doesn't seem that there is a build option to generate an MSI file which the user can click and have install, and a setup.exe which also would launch the MSI file - I began writing one myself.

Now I made a standard installation which uses a single setup.exe, and I am going to use LaunchApp to execute MSIEXEC to launch the MSI file. However I cannot for the life of me get the directory from which the setup.exe was launched. I need this directory desperately, as the MSI file will be contained in the same directory.

How can I make this work?? :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Chandima
11-06-2001, 11:03 AM
Are you using InstallShield Developer 7.0 by any chance (since you were talking about IS engine). If you create a CD ROM build, double clicking on the Msi will start the install if the Windows Installer engines are available. If they are not, double clicking Setup.exe will install them and launch the Msi (If using Developer7 this is true for Msi-Only projects).

abraxas
11-06-2001, 11:09 AM
Yes I'm using IS 7 :) but since there are no IS 7 forums, and I needed an answer I posted here :o CD ROM builds are not very useful to me... the issue is for people downloading of the internet. Our management team had a little discussion about this and it was resolved in a non- technical manner :)

Thanks though!

Chandima
11-06-2001, 11:16 AM
Cool. Just a few thoughts and suggestions. If you create an Msi only project you don't have to worry about the InstallScript engine being on the target machine. If the Windows Installer is missing it will download and install it from the web. You could install the msi that you created as a "Nested Install Custom Action". The Winodws Installer directly supports this so you really shouldn't have too much trouble. If you have any other (or the same) Developer7 related questions you can post on

installshield.developer7.general

This is a non-web based forum and needs something like Outlook Express to view it. Also, if you already don't have it, get the 7.01 maintenance release. We fixed a LOT of issues with that :)

abraxas
11-06-2001, 11:22 AM
Thanks again... when will a web forum for IS 7 start up? Our issue was a tad tricky. My supervisor(s) wished that the install would be in MSI format, so that admins could assign or publish the install easily... at the same time there was the issue of the IS engine not being on the client machine - if the client is not internet connected then it poses a bit of a problem... so I was trying to make a workaround (an installer with the IS engine included). But thank goodness, a different solution was found! :p