PDA

View Full Version : Upgrad

nlkflynn
11-06-2001, 08:56 AM
Hi,
I’m having a problem with the upgrade path. This is the first release of the application. When I build the install and then run it everything works fine. If I run it again the Remove, Repair, Modify dialog comes up and that’s fine too, but if I make any changes to the install and re-build it, or just re-build it without making changes and the run it the message comes up saying there’s already and previous version of the program installed. I’m not sure what’s changing when I re-build the install to cause this.

Thanks

Chandima
11-06-2001, 11:00 AM
You do NOT have to specify an Upgrade Path for the original (or Version1) setup. Once you install Version1 and you decide to create Version2 of your application, you would then add an Upgrade Path that points to the Version1 msi file.

Every time you build a project on Express, another GUID called the Package Code is created. The Windows Installer uses this to identify one build from another. So what you are experiencing is the default behavior. You HAVE to uninstall the previous version before you install a newer build. If by any chance you want to install the new build AS WELL AS have the old build still installed, you have to change the Product Code (from General Information). This will put TWO entries of your application in Add/Remove Programs.