PDA

View Full Version : Any bug fix version in the near future ?

kamtsa
11-05-2001, 07:40 PM
It is relase time again so I launched my ISX and checked for updates but 3.51 is still the latest version.

Any bug fix released planed in the near future (e.g. automatic refresh of the Show Release Notes and Start Program paths) ? These fixes are long over due.

Thanks,

Tal

Chandima
11-06-2001, 10:32 AM
We are currently in a late beta of the maintenance pack. We encourage as many 3.5x users to help test this version. We have a number of fixes and performance improvements in this releases. For more information please go to http://www.installshield.com/beta/express/

What exactly do you mean by the "automatic refresh of release notes" and "Start Program Paths"? I'd like to get more details on this. Thanks.

kamtsa
11-06-2001, 11:27 AM
Hi Chandima,

This is somthing we discussed in the past.

1. On each build, we need to manually delete and reload the 'automatic' file linking because ISX does not recognize new/deleted folders in the file structure.

2. After we do that, we need to manullay reenter the pathes of the Completion dialog box. These are the paths of the start program and read release note check boxes. If we don't reeneter them, we get an error during installation even though the paths looks just fine in ISX.

Our goal is to be able to launch ISX, and build/publish the project without having to manually 'playing' with it each time.

Also, a nice addition would be to be able to set the default values of the check boxes of the Completion dialog box (start program and read release nots) to true. Currently it is always unchecked and we have to include explanation to the user to check them on.

Thanks,

Tal

Chandima
11-07-2001, 09:40 AM
Now I remember the issue. These issues have not been addressed because

1. Dynamic File Linking - This has not been addressed yet because 3.53 is a maintenance release and concentrates on fixing bugs with 3.50 and 3.51. This is the way Dynamic File Linking (DFL) behaved in 3.0x as well. Fixing this would mean redoing the entire DFL algorithm which would cause potential damage to the way we currently add (statically) files as well. Becuase of the short development cycle this could cause more damamge (to adding files in general) than help. This will DEFINITELY be addressed in the next full release of Express.

2. We looked in to this but cannot do that. This is why. Whether a file is added dynamically or statically (normal drag and drop) this will not work. The reason is every time a file is added to a project it is given an iternal identifier we call a FileKey. This is a randomly generated value to make sure no duplicates exist in the same project. The only way the Windows Installer can keep track of files being installed to the machine is through this FileKey. So when you point at the files you are want to launch, actually you are poiting at their file keys. So when you open your project the next day, delete the files re-add them, new FileKeys are created. So now your dialog is poiting at an invalid FileKey. So it doesn't work. Make sense?

3. I tried on 3.51 as well as 3.53, and (for me at least) the checkboxes are selected by default. I don't see why they shouldn't be...

kamtsa
11-07-2001, 11:30 AM
Hi Chandima,

1 How about a simpler approach, have as ingle mouse click for Refresh Dynamic Linking. Currently We have to manually delete the files, open the DFL dialog, click on the 'recursive folders' check box, and click on the Ok button. We have to do it on EVERY build. If you don't fix it (since 3.0x) at least provide with a simple workaround in a form of a single click refresh.

2. I understand that something need to be refreshed internally but ISX should do it automatically since it has all the information it needs (that is, the paths to the files). This is a serious bug since 3.0x and it is disappointing that Install Shield has not acted on it yet.

3. Yes, it should be checked but in our case, they are not.

Chandima, these are long standing bugs and I think IS should do whatever in its power to fix it. We alreay paid an upgrade to 3.51 and the bugs are still there. Is this is the way IS does business ?

Thanks,

Tal