PDA

View Full Version : 1608: Unable to create InstallDriver instance

DanJ_2004
07-01-2004, 02:28 PM
1608: Unable to create InstallDriver instance
Return code: -2147467262

I have InstallShield Developer 7.04 on an Win XP machine where the package that I created works fine. I have 2 Win 2k machines where it stoped working after a short while.

I've read about this problem and as I could see there were a few solutions for some people:
- reinstall isscript.msi
- check registry information for iDriver.exe
- change DCOM permissions
- reinstall the OS

None of them worked for me. I haven't tried the reinstallation because that is not a solution for me.
I have now 2 machines with the same problem. On both I was able to install my software and after uninstall I could not get it to run again.
I spent already a lot of time researching this and I NEED A SOLUTION.

Feel free to make any suggestions ...

ayubfkhan
10-21-2004, 12:36 PM
I am having same problem. First time around when I install this on a PC it works find and first time around it uninstalls it too. But after that no matter what project I am working with it gives me 1608 error about the idriver

I called the on line help but she said look in the users community forum..

DanJ_2004
10-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Hi,

I found out that the problem shows up because system files get deleted at uninstallation.
I set up all the components that have system files to have the Permanent property set to YES.
I did not encounter the problem after that.

Good luck!!!

newguy
10-22-2004, 02:29 PM
you might want to check to see that there is no idriver.exe instance or msiexec.exe instance still running the task manager processes. Also you might want to clean out your temp directory. Also make sure you check in the c:\program files\installshield installation information directory and make sure the product guid for the setup you uninstalled is not there. Try those things and see if you can run a new setup