PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from Developer 7

Mike Coldewey
07-01-2004, 09:24 AM
How straightforward is it to upgrade from a Developer 7 project to an InstallShield X InstallScript Project, and am I right in thinking that the InstallScript project has no involvement with the Windows Installer?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

RobertDickau
07-06-2004, 08:21 AM
You can convert a Developer 7 InstallScript MSI project to an InstallShield X InstallScript MSI project, and then convert that to a pure InstallScript project. And you're right, a pure InstallScript project uses no Windows Installer functionality.

Mike Coldewey
07-13-2004, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback - that's what I did, and it works OK. I have a couple of questions related to InstallScript projects:
1. Previously, there had been two entry points to the installation: OnMaintUIBefore (for when the installation had been previously installed, and an uninstall was forced) and OnFirstUIBefore, where the product had not been installed before.
We don't want to force an uninstall - in fact, that's one of the reasons we're moving to an InstallScript project rather than a BasicMSI project. What would happen if I eliminated the OnMainUIBefore, or re-directed it to OnFirstUIBefore? Is there a way to just have one entry point, and for that entry point to always lead to an installation rather than an uninstallation?

2. Related to that, is the variable MAINTENANCE still set in the InstallScript project for having the installation already there?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

RobertDickau
07-14-2004, 09:48 AM
Instead of redirecting the events, perhaps look at General Information > Project Properties > Maintenance Experience, and see if one of those settings automatically does what you want...