PDA

View Full Version : Buggy & Annoying Warning 5000

catal1na
07-01-2004, 05:38 AM
Anyone has any ideas, i sure would really appreciate.

We test runned Installshield X recently by moving a legacy project that was working from DevStudio9.

THE PROBLEM
===========
When building with certain merge modules, we get a warning code 5000 -> "... contains a link to a not existing file..."

Something with GUID in the ...\Disk Images\MsiStub.

With these Merge Modules, the MsiStub folder is empty. Without those Merge Modules, the folder exists with everything intact.

The Merge Modules (MSM) are: Jet 3.51, Windows Scripting Host 5.6 and VBScriptRuntime.

Me and my coworkers are mystified.

WE TRIED...
=========
[1] Reinstall Installshield X
[2] Download and install those huge 200-300MB Merge Modules and Objects
[3] Look at the knowledge base

Really and truly appreciate if someone could tell us what went wrong. Thanks.

catal1na
07-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Oh forgot to mention, that particular project was all working in DevStudio 9.

May be it's the registry...

We looked at the logs and around and realized we're lost...

so we all bailed out and went to watch spider-man 2. Despite feeling all great after the show, we're back... stucked.

that's the pain of improvements..

catal1na
07-01-2004, 01:08 PM
I left InstallShield X isolated on an AMD 3200+ machine running on XP Pro (all patched and update).

dotNet wasn't installed.

Development platform: Visual Basic and Visual C++ (version 6)

Now, after a meeting. I realized we had funny episodes when installing IS-X:

Uninstalled DevStudio 9 and tried installing IS-X. Installation unload prematurely a few times without any warning. Just went "Poooofff" Hence some engineer went and delete installshield folder in <program files>, the relate folder in <common files> and windows registry with InstallShield key... ONLY those for DevStudio. Only then IS-X gets installed smoothly.

Upgraded the ISM file to IS-X and got the 5000 Warning.

catal1na
07-02-2004, 02:20 AM
After having two engineerings working on this. It just seems to me it's premature to upgrade IS-X.

Despite the existing HotFixes and Updates for IS-X, our issues is classified as "Technically Strange" by one of the junior staff.

A few problems we documented are:

[1] Objects and Merge Modules 5000 Warning
[2] After any uninstalling, all subsequent InstallShield (DevStudio 9 and X) setup exits prematurely. This include some of the updates and the actual program.
[3] IS Update console/module crashed, sometimes can't find any updates, others show all that has already updated, doesn't support multiple download and install.

Despite the buggy issues, we understand it's a big complex piece of software. Overall, it 'looks' like a potential piece of good work.

Strange thing... IS-X.