PDA

View Full Version : Display user input

Katrin
06-29-2004, 01:23 PM
Hello,

I'm an InstallShield beginner and I hope my question is not too silly but didn't find anything in the sample projects or in the help.

I want to display a variable, which the user entered, in the PreInstallSummery dialog. As I understand I can do this somehow with 'resolveString("$V(VAR1)")'. Is this correct? How can I call the resolveString method in the 'initializeUIPreInstallSummary' function?

Thanks for your help.

mholland
06-30-2004, 06:32 PM
Two comments:
1) You probably want to use the queryEnter method to do what you want, rather than the initializeUI. queryEnter is called every time someone enters a dialog, whereas initializeUI is only called the FIRST time the dialog is entered.

2) You can do the following to grab the user information:
arg0.getServices().resolveString("$V(variableName)");

mike.

Katrin
07-01-2004, 01:36 AM
Dear Mike,

thank you for your answer, but that didn't solve my problem.

I added the method queryEnterPreInstallSummary, but I don't know if it is called at all. In the method initializeUIPreInstallSummary the installation summary is displayed with "html.setText(sumMessage)". And I can change the content of "sumMessage", but I don't know how to add the value of my variable there.

Otherwise in the method EnterPreInstallSummary I have arg0 and can call resolveString. But it seems that I cannot change the text displayed in the dialog panel (or the method "EnterPreInstallSummary" is not called at all in the installation process).

Please tell me how to solve this problem.

mholland
07-01-2004, 10:51 AM
Oh... ok - I didn't look at the dialog itself. I see what you are getting at. You can use the same code I posted above using "context":
context.getServices().resolveString("$V(variableName)");

to get teh value of your variable. Then you can add that to sumMessage.

mike.

Originally posted by Katrin
Dear Mike,

thank you for your answer, but that didn't solve my problem.

I added the method queryEnterPreInstallSummary, but I don't know if it is called at all. In the method initializeUIPreInstallSummary the installation summary is displayed with "html.setText(sumMessage)". And I can change the content of "sumMessage", but I don't know how to add the value of my variable there.

Otherwise in the method EnterPreInstallSummary I have arg0 and can call resolveString. But it seems that I cannot change the text displayed in the dialog panel (or the method "EnterPreInstallSummary" is not called at all in the installation process).

Please tell me how to solve this problem.

Katrin
07-02-2004, 01:24 AM
It works! Thank you very much!

Originally posted by mholland
Oh... ok - I didn't look at the dialog itself. I see what you are getting at. You can use the same code I posted above using "context":
context.getServices().resolveString("$V(variableName)");

to get teh value of your variable. Then you can add that to sumMessage.

mike.