PDA

View Full Version : finding out previous setup type in a minor upgrade

Peter Kosenko
06-25-2004, 05:38 PM
Here's a lazy post.

I figure that someone might know the answer before I manage to dig it out of help or other documentation with the usual excess of effort.

I have been writing custom actions for a minor upgrade installer and need to know what "setup type" (there are three) of the initial installation was selected by the user.

Where in the MSI database would such information be stored?

What property would I query to find the information?

Kochise
06-30-2004, 04:08 AM
I can find these informations for you, do the job for you in order you won't have to provide the "usual excess of effort" ! But as you'll earn some money while *I* was doing the job, it won't be for free !

Tip : Original setup type is just an automated way to select/unselect features. Just check the installed features !

Kochise

Peter Kosenko
06-30-2004, 12:52 PM
Thanks. I checked the MSI database tables and could find nothing in the InstallShield configured tables that indicates what Setup type the user had installed. So I have been taking the approach that you suggest and checking the features that are and aren't installed in the various setup types. I figured that one out before your post.

If I had been more aware of what the upgrade issues were going to be, I might have created a property in the initial installer that stored this value.

Thanks for the offer to do the work, but we have some complex requirements and communicating them can be difficult when subcontractors' English skills are very weak (however good they think they are as "programmers"); and the delays associated with such subcontracting can be unacceptable. That would be the case with current issues.