PDA

View Full Version : More design issues & concerns

doohickey11
06-25-2004, 04:35 PM
Hi Robert
If you could please evaluate the following design scenario and address any concerns that you might have.

InstallShield UI is used to take User Input & any other related configuration information and placed into the Ant Build File to specify the run time parameters such as Install Directory, Target Machine Server UserName & Password and other configuration data. Then Ant is to used as the the tool that will create all the necessary directory structure, deploy files & components , create registry enteries, register new services, start & stop services. Apart from that any uninstallation targets required are also installed by ant .

Thank you for all your help.

Regards
Harry

RobertDickau
06-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Only InstallShield X Universal projects have built-in support for Ant tasks, using the Ant Target Processor action. With InstallScript or MSI, I expect you'd need to write some custom actions.

doohickey11
06-30-2004, 07:08 PM
Hi Robert
Please let me rephrase my question, independent of the installation technology is it feasible to use Ant as an Install driver with InstallShield as a wrap around and as such
InstallShield UI is used to take User Input & any other related configuration information and place it into the Ant Build File to specify the run time parameters such as Install Directory, Target Machine Server Username, Password and other configuration data. Then Ant is to used as the tool that will create all the necessary directory structure, deploy files & components, create registry entries, register new services, start & stop services. Apart from that ant also installs any uninstallation targets required.

doohickey11
06-30-2004, 07:09 PM
Please list any potential problems & risks you can think off.
Thanks

Regards
Harry