PDA

View Full Version : Does Installshield delete BOOT.ini??

Chloem_e
06-24-2004, 06:11 AM
I have written an InstallShield project using Developer Version 7. Some testers have found problems rebooting their machine after uninstalling the project.
It seems that the BOOT.ini file has been deleted so that the machine cannot reboot.

Has anyone else seen/heard of this problem? Or does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be happening?

Chloe

cresand
05-12-2005, 05:38 AM
I'm seeing something similar with a Response transform made for Java 1.5.0

If i run the install with the response transform the boot.ini is being deleted if i run the msi installer on its own its fine.

I have made the relivant changes to the Vendors Msi rather than using the Reponse transform and everything is ok.

Intrestingly if we copy over the Boot.ini file from another machine onto the affected machine the remove and re install its fine. :eek:

Chloem_e
05-12-2005, 05:51 AM
I discovered the solution to my problem. During a custom action I was deleting all *.ini files from the INSTALLDIR. The mistake I made was to not check that the INSTALLDIR property was properly populated. It seems that occasionally during uninstallation my CA was being passed an emtpy string instead of the INSTALLDIR string. This meant that my CA deleted all *.ini files under the root directory :o Whoops...