PDA

View Full Version : INSTALLDRI partially from registry

geppo12
10-31-2001, 04:26 AM
I know that is possible obtain a full INSTALLDIR path from registry.
Can I obtain only a part of part from registry and specify the rest of path manually into InstallSheld Express properties ?
Thanks
Giuseppe Monteleone

katsnelson
11-11-2001, 07:32 AM
I am also looking for an answer to this question. I need to set INSTALLDIR to the value stored in the registry and append a subdirectory to it.

Chandima
11-12-2001, 09:35 AM
What if you write a VBScript Custom Action to get this value from the registry and then within the VBScript edit the string? Then using the Session object, set the value of INSTALLDIR to your edited string.

mr_sinister
11-12-2001, 10:00 AM
hi there,

i've tried obtaining a path for INSTALLDIR from the registry by using the method described in the help files (i just put the full registry path in the INSTALLDIR field) as well as by using a VBScript..

my problem is this: when I run the installer that I build, it shows the correct path to install to in the dialog box, but when it actually installs, the files get copied into a directory named "INSTALLDIR" on my C: drive..

I'm currently using a demo copy of InstallShield Express on WinNT4.. has anyone else experienced this and if so, how to remedy??

Thanks,

Randy

Chandima
11-12-2001, 05:19 PM
What version of Express are you using?
Are by any chance adding your files (in the files view) to a folder you added named "INSTALLDIR" or to the pre-defined "[INSTALLDIR]" in the Right Click Menu?

mr_sinister
11-13-2001, 08:42 AM
i'm using the latest demo edition of installshield express.. i downloaded it last week..

however, i trashed that project and started from scratch again, and now it works.. I don't exactly know why, but if I encounter this problem again I'll let you know..

thanks for the help anyway!

Chandima
11-13-2001, 08:58 AM
Glad you found a way around it. If you are able to reproduce this issue please make a new post here and we'll work on getting to the bottom of it.