PDA

View Full Version : End User Defined Install Path

raym0nd
06-23-2004, 02:21 AM
Hello, I have searched the forum for my querry but seem to have run into a snag. If this has been answered elsewhere, please point me in the right direction...

I am setting up a plugin for an application and am looking for a way to let the user define a specific path for installation in a way other than a custom setup. Amazingly enough, some people just can't read directions.

So what I am looking for exactly is this:

At the beginning of the installation, the user is asked for a specific piece of information - an email address. This email address is actually the install path of the original application.

1. Installation asks user to input email addy that account was created with.

2. Their input is used as a piece of the installation path.

If Joe Blow types in an email of Me@myhouse.com, then the installation would take that input and install the files to: C:\Program Files\App Path\ME@myhouse.com\install\here

If someone could help point me in the right direction, this would be appreciated. I know it is just as easy for most people to simply select their installation path, but far too many get rushing through and don't bother to read anything in the installation prompts, installing to the default directory which renders the plugin useless.

Thank you

raym0nd

Mark at IS
06-23-2004, 07:11 AM
Set component destinations to <TARGETDIR>. In the script, call AskText to get the email address. In the script, set the system variable TARGETDIR equal to PROGRAMFILES^"App Path"^szEmailAddress^"install"^"here"

raym0nd
06-23-2004, 09:14 AM
This is great. Thank you very much. =)