PDA

View Full Version : GDI+ Merge Module

IQpierce
06-22-2004, 12:51 PM
I'm new to Merge Modules, but I know that this one isn't working the way I want.

I run this on a Win98 machine and it installed gdiplus.dll into the directory I specified. Fine.

I run this on an XP machine and it does the same. Not fine. XP already has GDI+ set up, and the application does not need its own DLL. I need something smart enough to recognize whether or not the DLL needs to be installed, and then actually not install it when it doesn't need to be installed.

I've browsed this forum and found people referencing this problem (specifically with GDI+). Has InstallShield fixed it yet, or am I going to have to ONCE AGAIN make some COMPLETE HACK OF A WORKAROUND? I'm very tired of having to twist this product's arm in order to force it to perform some very reasonable functionality that should be made simple, and I am not going to upgrade because I shouldn't have to do so, I've already paid for this functionality and it simply isn't here. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

JOAT-MON
06-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Don't know why there is no functionality directly in the merge modules for regulating installation...

What I do is:
1. put my merge in seperate feature
2. use the FindFile() in an 'if' statement to determine if the merge is needed, then use the FeatureSetData () for the property 'FEATURE_FIELD_SELECTED' during my setup dialogues to regulate whether the merge will get installed

Would love to hear if there is a smoother way...