PDA

View Full Version : Error 1402

seasources
10-28-2001, 12:30 PM
After developing, building, testing and deploying a VB project which required msaccess db to operate I installed on target machine that was totally clean having only win98 installed with no problems. The program found the database and ran like clockwork.
After distribution of the software a customer responded that he had received error:1402 could not open key software. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key or contact support personnel.

The package was being installed on windows me system which is the same system it was developed on. I believe this error has something to do with registry keys on the target system.

Is there anyone out there that can offer any solutions.

Thanks

Chandima
10-29-2001, 11:28 AM
What was the registry key that could not be accessed? Is this a registry entry you added to the project? Is this Win98 connected to a Network?

seasources
10-29-2001, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Chandima
What was the registry key that could not be accessed? Is this a registry entry you added to the project? Is this Win98 connected to a Network?

CHANDIMA

I DO NOT BELIEVE I ADDED ANY REGISTRY KEYS TO THE PROJECT. MABE I NEEDED TO FOR ALL I KNOW AT THIS POINT. ALL I CAN TELL YOU FOR SURE IS THAT THE SOFTWARE INSTALLED AND RAN BEFORE IT WAS SHIPPED ON A TARGET MACHINE WHICH HAD NOTHING ELSE ON IT BUT WIN98. THE INSTALLSHIELD SETUP PUT EVERYTHING WHERE IT NEEDED TO GO INCLUDING MSACCESS MERGE MODULE WHICH WAS REQUIRED TO RUN THE DB WITH THE PROGRAM. THERE WAS NOT ANY NETWORK INVOLVED. I MAY HAVE REACHED ANOTHER SOLUTION THROUGH THIS PROCESS AS I NOW HAVE THE VB PROJECT ITSELF PACKAGING WITH THE NECESSARY FILES TO RUN WITHOUT NEEDING MSACCESS MODULE. ANYMORE INSIGHT WOULD BE WELCOME.
THANKS
STEVE

Chandima
10-30-2001, 10:03 AM
One suggestion I got from someone was to ask whether Regedit was open on the target machine because we write an uninstall and it could be what was causing the problem.

Otherwise if you didn't add any Registry entries manually maybe something in the Access 97 Merge Module was causing the problem. What happens if you just remove the Access97 Merge Module, build your project and install on the same machine? If it STILL gives the error that let's us know that the Access97 module is clean.

If you can, attach a bitmap of the error message. Maybe we can learn more by looking at the Key that's causing this error.

seasources
10-30-2001, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Chandima
One suggestion I got from someone was to ask whether Regedit was open on the target machine because we write an uninstall and it could be what was causing the problem.

Otherwise if you didn't add any Registry entries manually maybe something in the Access 97 Merge Module was causing the problem. What happens if you just remove the Access97 Merge Module, build your project and install on the same machine? If it STILL gives the error that let's us know that the Access97 module is clean.

If you can, attach a bitmap of the error message. Maybe we can learn more by looking at the Key that's causing this error.

CHANDIMA
THAT IS A GOOD SUGGESTION. I REPACKAGED THE VP PROJECT ITSELF WITH THE CORRECT FILES TO RUN WITHOUT ACCESS MODULE WITH THE VB PACKAGE AND DEPLOYMENT WIZARD. THEN SENT THE CUSTOMER A LINK WHERE HE COULD DOWNLOAD THE NEW PACKAGE FROM. IT ALL TESTED OUT ON MY TARGET OK. I AM WAITING ON HIS REPLY TO SEE IF THE INSTALL WENT OK. IF IT DID THEN IT PROBIBLY WAS THE MERGE MODULE CAUSING THE PROBLEM. I HOPE TI HEAR BACK TODAY.
STEVE

bazzu1234
11-05-2001, 03:05 PM
Same problem with access97 object. It's possible that costumer information is null during setup?

Chandima
11-06-2001, 10:28 AM
What exactly does the error message say? It means a particular registry entry could not be accessed. I would like to know what that key is. This will help us dig a little deeper to find what exactly the problem is.

bazzu1234
11-06-2001, 11:05 AM
ok...

I have build a setup with access97 object
I have installed in a win98se.
In installing there is a error 1402....error 1010..... impossible to write key....bla bla bla
Costumer information is null

If i compile the costumer information setup complete succesfully.

This is not error with profiles because my win98se it's a new installation.
Without access 97 object there is no error. So i think error is in a library of access97 object....

thank you

Chandima
11-06-2001, 11:21 AM
Did you configure the Access97 merge module correctly?

bazzu1234
11-06-2001, 11:37 AM
Yes of course....
Summary of steps....

1) [Installdir]\Program.Mde
create shortcut true

2) Nothing..... user profile blank. Nothing to do.... next without make modify

3) Workgroup [SystemFolder]\System.mdw
register as system default ---- NO
use wrkgrp-------YES

4)End

Ok????

InstShld_Hoper
11-07-2001, 04:19 AM
Yeh guys, this aint happening.
I'm having the same problem. What can I say other than INSTALLSHIELD IS RUBBISH!
How can a problem like this not be sorted out by their support staff? Shocking.
We are currently considering legal action.

Chandima
11-07-2001, 09:59 AM
Could both of you send me the install logs of your project? To do this, from the command line (MS DOS) browse to the location of your setup. Type

Setup.exe /v"/lv C:\InstallLog.txt"

This will create a log of the installation. Please send me this file to chandimar@installShield.com. Maybe it's logging more information there.

Thanks.

bazzu1234
11-08-2001, 03:27 PM
i'll send you the log as soon as possible. friday i think....

I have read a post... error 1402... software\\sms....

yes.

My setup has the same problem with \\......

possible that in setup a registry value is null???? for example... costumer information????

Chandima
12-12-2001, 09:10 AM
I think you found the problem. I dug through some of our old KB articles and support stuff. It seems that on some Win 98 and Win95 machines this error occurs. The workaround is to add the Customer Information dialog to the setup, and specify a value for the Company or Orgamization field. It seems that if these are set to null Express tries to write info to an invalid registry entry. Let me know if this works.