PDA

View Full Version : Installation trouble

FidoBoy
10-27-2001, 09:46 AM
I use InstallShield 3.03 and i have some kind of trouble that is driving me crazy! Basically, all works perfectly during installation, the aplication and other libraries are installed perfectly in the target system but when i execute my program on first time, the InstallShield installation dialog is executed again before my program starts and it ask for the installation disk again. The installation process creates a shortcut in the desktop and clicking this icon in desktop produces the trouble, the installation starts in place of my program...

Thanks to all in advance,

Chandima
10-29-2001, 11:25 AM
Are you using the BDE merge module? Any other merge modules? What is happening is that when you run the shortcut, the Windows Installer detects that some files required for your install are missing and wants to install them off the CD. I would like to find out what's causing this call though. Any Custom Actions or special functions?

FidoBoy
10-29-2001, 01:34 PM
I'm not using BDE merge module, and i'm not using any other merge modules. I think (not sure at all...) that my application do not need any merge modules to work...

Chandima
10-30-2001, 10:30 AM
Okay. What do you specify as the shortcut target? If it was (by any chance) something to do with [SourceDir] it will prompt for the CD.

This happens ONLY when you run from the Express created shortcut right? List all the properties you specified and we might be able to figure it out.

FidoBoy
10-31-2001, 03:16 AM
There is no reference to [SourceDir] in th shortcut. It points to [INSTALLDIR]\MyApp.exe

When u say 'list all properties...' what are u talking about? Where can i list all properties from a shortcut?

Chandima
10-31-2001, 09:27 AM
I think for some reason some of the files that your exe requires are NOT copied to the target machine. Since you are running an "advertised" shortcut (Express creates these by default) Windows Installer looks to make sure all files are installed and not corrupted. If they are missing or damamged it will reinstall them before launching your application. That's why it's asking for the CD.

In your Setup, do you have any files in the [SystemFolder] which could be either OS specific or under System File Protection on 2K and ME?

What happens if you create a normal shortcut after installing your application? Does it launch you application properly? Does the application work properly? If so then all you need to do is create a non-advertised shortcut. If you need I can tell you how to create one by manually editing the msi file.

Sutherland
02-12-2002, 04:13 AM
Hi,

I'm also experiencing the same problem with ISX3.53. I have put together a package that contains the server part of my application and the client part. When I use the package to install the server app, all works as expected. When I use the same package to install the client app the installation appears to work correctly then launches the installer every time I click on the shortcut. When I delete the shortcut created by ISX and create my own, the installer continues to be launched.

Any help very much appreciated.

Chandima
02-12-2002, 03:11 PM
That is really really strange. Does the Windows Installer launch even when you just double click on the Exe file?

Sutherland
02-12-2002, 04:01 PM
Yes, after I install my app then double click on the exe in the installation directory, the Windows installer launches. I've set the Advertise option to No on the original shortcut in the ISX package but it appears to have no effect. As with FidoBoy, I've got no references to [SourceDir] - everything points to [InstallDir] or [SystemFolder].

Chandima
02-12-2002, 04:33 PM
Was the exe file by any remote chance marked as "Vital" in Express (please say yes...)?

Sutherland
02-13-2002, 03:59 AM
The file was left with the default setting 'Use System Attributes' and the 'Vital' checkbox was grayed-out and unchecked.:confused:

Rob Swain
02-14-2002, 05:22 AM
I had a similar experience with v3.03 a while back and traced it to having more than 3 exe files in the destination folder! I have subsequently split the installtion into seperate client and "server" installs and had no further trouble. Have not ried to re-create this subsequently, but thought the info might help.

Chandima
02-15-2002, 09:26 AM
Could you post your msi file here so that I can take a look at it?

N Robinson
06-20-2002, 08:11 AM
Has there been a solution to this issue? I am having a similar problem with version 3.53. My setup is creating a shortcut from the desktop and from the Programs menu. Each point to the same installed file in [INSTALLDIR]. The Programs menu shortcut works fine, but the desktop shortcut is set to "Installs on first use" immediately after setup. If the computer is rebooted as requested by the setup, the desktop shortcut works fine, however several users have opted not to reboot and complain when they double click the desktop icon. Is there a way to fix this without rebooting, or is there a way to force the reboot?

Chandima
06-20-2002, 09:49 AM
The reboot dialog shows because the Windows Installer prompts for a reboot or because some files that need to be copied are currently in use. An Advertised Shortcut will not work properly until the machine is rebooted. We prompt for the reboot using the Windows Installer standard action "ScheduleReboot". This has both "Yes" and "No" buttons. You could force a reboot using the Windows Installer "ForceReboot" action but that two asks whether you want to reboot or not (giving the user the option not to).

N Robinson
06-20-2002, 09:55 AM
None of my features are set to "advertised". Does this mean that just the shortcut is somehow set to advertised? Is there a way change this?

Thanks

Chandima
06-20-2002, 03:08 PM
Most probably. You are using Express 3.53 right? If so by default it creates Advertised shortcuts. Try installing this setup with the following Command Line:

Setup.exe /v"DISABLEADVTSHORTCUTS=1"

This should technically convert advertised shortcuts to normal ones. Also keep in mind though that if the system doesn't get it's msi reboot, trying to uninstall the setup from Add/Remove Programs MIGHT give cryptic Msi errors (which go away once you reboot).

Also, both shortcuts point to the same file right? Are both shortcuts in the same feature?

N Robinson
06-21-2002, 06:41 AM
Yes, this works! Now -- is there a way to do this in the project so that the user doesn't need to worry about command lines? Both shortcuts do point to the same file, and they are both in the only feature in the setup - Always Install (Required - Yes; Advertised - No).
I do realize that the user really should reboot when they are told to, but I also know this does not happen sometimes.

Chandima
06-21-2002, 09:45 AM
This is possible in 3.54. You can specifically state whether the shortcut is Advertised or not. In 3.53 one workaround which works 50% of the time is the following:

1. Delete the problematic shortcut (in Express)
2. Save and close project
3. Reopen and create the shortcut again
4. This time however manually TYPE in [INSTALLDIR]MyFile.exe instead of selecting it from the drop down list
5. Build and install

If this doesn't work you can always try setting the CmdLine parameter in Setup.ini as follows:

CmdLine=/v"DISABLEADVTSHORTCUTS=1"