PDA

View Full Version : Update only works if installed twice.

PahJoker2
10-26-2001, 02:07 PM
Using ISX 3.51, I have created an update to an application using update paths. I am installing about 40 files with the same name as in the previous version, and about 5 new files. What happens is that after installing the update, all the files with the same names are gone and only the new files are installed. Regsitry values are also removed. If I install the update a second time, everything looks fine but obviously I don't want to make the user install twice!

By the way, if I leave Windows Explorer open in the background during installation, I can see that the main application file gets updated then subsequently removed during InstallShield's "Removing Files" process. It appears as if the uninstall takes place after the new files are installed instead of before.

What am I doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated!

:confused:

Chandima
10-29-2001, 11:17 AM
This is the first time I have heard of this issue. This WAS a problem initially but we made sure we fixed it before we release Express 3.03. I am pretty sure none of the code changed since. I just tried your scenario with a couple of files and it seemed to work fine. Few questions.

1. How did you get Express 3.51? Did you get 3.51 on CD or did you use install 3.50 and upgrade to 3.51 through a patch? Or did you just download 3.51?

2. Do a search on your build machine for msi.dll. What is the version number of this?

3. Do the same if your test machine is different from your build machine.

4. Are the files you are replacing all files with version numbers (like exe, dll, ocx) or are they non-versioned ones (like txt, bmp, gif)? Or a mix of the two?

5. Does this happen on ALL machines?