PDA

View Full Version : Custom Dialog Box with Silent Mode

rdrouill
06-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Hello i have a question that i'm not sure if anyone else has had any problems with but I have been running into a problem with. I have created a custom dialog box in a standard project, and everything there works fine. The problem i'm running into is when i try to create a response file and then run it in silent mode everything is silent but my dialog box I have created. Does anyone know if there is anything special you have to do to get your custom dialog box to be silent and have the information for that dialog box to be in the response file when you do a setup.exe /r

any help on this would be greatly appreciated

luke_s
06-17-2004, 02:34 AM
If you have a silent install with install shield, then your whole setup is silent.

TO add the values for that custom dialog into a response file, you must pass in the properties to the response file that the dialog references.

rdrouill
06-17-2004, 07:54 AM
I am confused when you are saying pass in the properties to the response file. I know the values i'm pulling out of the Dialog box and have the control ID i'm not sure what you mean by pass them in, are you talking about an installshield script command that passes them and allows the response table to pull them or are you saying there is no way to add them to the actual repsonse file and i have to pass them into the command line when i run the setup.exe?

also if you have any sample code on what you are talking about it would be greatly apprecatied as i'm lost about what you are talking about

Thanks for your help so far. i really appreciate it

luke_s
06-17-2004, 06:31 PM
Hi sorry about the confusion, I mis-read the part about having a custom dialog box.

What type of custom dialog box are you using?? One written in VB of C++?? or one created using install shield??

If you have a custom dialog box in VB or C++ then you are stuck. Since the custom dialog box only gets called from your code, there is no way for windows installer to grab the details from it.

My suggestion was to work around the problem by providing the user with a set of properties that they can set on the command line (global properties), and then somehow change your custom dialog to set the properties when the user is running in interactive mode.

Does that make more sense??